By the way, it is CVE-2012-0037, not -0337.  Sorry I didn't detect the original subject-line gaff
sooner.

Note that the official CVE reports are seriously unenlightening:
<http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2012-0037>.

The LibreOffice advisory is likely to simply scare the pants off of users since it is very
circumspect and provides no information about how this matters to users and what they can do to
avoid it (apart from upgrading): https://www.libreoffice.org/advisories/CVE-2012-0037/

The Apache OpenOffice advisory is closer to what I consider the benchmark (advisory e-mails from
Microsoft) in this area.  It does not presume remote code execution (at least, not in OO.o), and it
describes mitigation more clearly: <https://www.libreoffice.org/advisories/CVE-2012-0037/>.  This
can be done better.  I'd say not bad for a first effort though.

With regard to the lack of an OO.o 3.3.0 Linux patch from the Apache OpenOffice project, that was a
mistake based on an incorrect assumption about how few people have installed OO.o from other than
their Linux distributions.  There is an effort to address that underway now.  See this thread:
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201203.mbox/thread?6>.

 - Dennis

PS: Your conclusion that the exploit is unlikely is unsupportable.

Whether an exploit actually manages to capture anything useful or embarrassing is another matter.
It is also conceivable that a failed exploit may crash the application or at least result in
mystery failures to open the document.

On the other hand, it is a bit like spam and phishing.  Since those are so easy to do, and
inexpensive to distribute, the mischievous folks are willing to have a miniscule return rate, so
long as there are any [;<).  (The easiest way to seed a wide distribution is by
contributing/distributing a template file with the template built in.  Still a move-plot, but users
need a way to satisfy themselves that there is no exploit.  There are so many faux download sites
that it is a bit like walking down a road where all the street lights have been shot out.

This reminds me how the Iranian nuclear-material centrifuges were hacked by sending a trojan into
the wild that apparently went global but was designed to fire with effect when it found itself on
the correct computers.

Apparently it is the ease of crafting exploits that has the Apache OpenOffice.org categorize this
as "Important" (but not "Critical").