Thanks :) [bows]

It's difficult to pick a group of users that all fit a stereo-type of being bad with computers.
Even office workers sometimes know how to recover from trivial accidents and sometimes even
advanced stuff (ok, that is extremely rare but it happens!).  Even terms such as "noob" (not an
insult as we were all noobs at something sometime and hopefully are still pushing our limit into
'new' areas) don't always mean completely hopeless.

I think the trick is to empower people and help them with gentle nudges so that they can fix their
own problems and deal with new problems they might find in the future and hopefully pass that
knowledge on.  I know that is completely contrary to the MS world but it seems a much better
strategy.  One repair shop admitted they prefer it when people do try to solve their own problems
because the user then has more appreciation of the work done by the shop but it was an unusual shop
to say the least.  Most would rather try to keep everything secret so that you are forced to keep
returning to them.

Btw i have not yet had a problem with leaving the office before a Windows machine has finished it's
lengthy and delaying "Shutting down after installing 7 of 9".  Sometimes i have held the off-button
in for about a minute to force a shut-down so that i can turn off the mains power!  Nothing seems
to have been harmed by that either, except the next day it wants me to resume the updates and then
reboot.  So, generally i have learned to leave them to do updates and trust them to turn off
without me.

From: precutcolours@mailcan.com <precutcolours@mailcan.com>
To: "Users LibreOffice" <users@global.libreoffice.org>
Date: Tuesday, 17 April, 2012, 0:10

Well thank you Tom.  I know beacoup info about release cycles, open vs.
proprietary, and user configs.  I seek to help grandmas.

Updates item [is] pointless

When Libre app reports no update to grandma, but I counter-invite to Libre
org's home page news, grandma gets confused.  Why does the app say
different than the web site?  Microsoft Office update doesn't behave so, nor
Windows Update.  The patches listed on Microsoft's web are the patches
one gets in Windows Update.  They are in sync.

Updates tend to be minor patches
LibreOffice doesn't have minor updates very often

Frequent updates and bug fixes are a mark of quality.  Advising people not to
patch bugs is rather poor advice.  Grandma needs a simpler way than full
reinstall.

Minor bugs kill grandmas.  I want minor patches.  I want the menu to tell
grandma about them.

Release cycles seem aggressive enough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice#Release_schedule

OpenSource [keeps user] stuff safely away

User prefs aren't relevant.  The trouble is getting bugs fixed.

A menu tells grandma no update exists, yet I claim to know better, but my
info just means more work, a re-install.  What seems easy to you and me is
very intimidating to grandma esp. when she didn't do the original
install.  Some people did not grow up with computers either for age or
poverty or both.  So she ignores me, or says "manyana," all merely because
there's no one-two click update.  The result is users not keeping LibreOffice
bug-patched.

Next they complain if Calc breaks over something that Excel does perfectly
well, only because they lack a "minor" fix.  After that, they tell others that
LibreOffice "broke on me doing X, so I went back to Excel" etc.

Thanks very much to the team for all the hard work!  Pushing fixes out to
users is a no-brainer, I hope...

                          unladen european swallow