In most cases, I do compile from source. It is the safest way to make sure the dependencies are there and the resulting package works on my system. However, the last time I built OpenOffice (admittedly a *long* time ago), it took over 3 hours on a 1.5 GHz Athlon machine. Now the latest LO, being larger, will most likely take even longer. As a result, I just repackage the downloaded LO binaries (rpms). Obviously, compiling from source is not for everybody.
Girvin Herr

On 10/09/2013 01:52 AM, Anthony Easthope wrote:
But I like compiling from source complains the battle scared OS
pioneer!

[1]http://lifehacker.com/398611/how-to-compile-software-from-source-cod

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, at 04:02 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

Hi :)
I suspect that a lot of your concerns and more besides are shared by
the

LO devs and in some cases by the companies they work for.
My guess is that is part of the reason we don't already have 1-click
installers.  We already have at least 2 systems that work (repos and
copy&paste from instructions) so there is nothing driving them to
produce

some hasty bodge in the "release early and release often" style.
Another, slightly wilder, guess is that you might need to do 1 extra
step

= such as unzipping a container-file (as we can do with .odt files).
This whole topic, about 1-click installers, is a "chinese whisper"
(not

sure why the Chinese get the blame for it as we all do it).  It would
be

better for one or 2 of us to contact the devs to initially find out
1.  If there is a plan or vague idea to create 1-click installers for
the

3 or 4 ways of packaging such things for Gnu&Linux (maybe and Bsd?)
If there is then 2 follow-up questions arise
2.  How imminent are such plans?  Soon or years away?
3.  Are compiled binaries going to be available? (perhaps in .deb or
.rpm

form for people to repackage for various distros such as Slackware
(or

use tools such as the alien thing))
At the moment we are all just making guesses based on something that
1

person thinks they might vaguely remember having heard or read about
some

time ago.  With no proof or links to anything to suggest that vague
memory has any basis in fact.  Errr, that 1 person was me so i deeply
apologise for that and for not intervening sooner [hangs head in
shame]

[shuffles feet]
Apols and regards from