I like your ideas a lot.  :)))

Sadly not everyone is allowed to or able to install programs on the
machiens they use.  It might be effortless for them on a home machine or
their own laptop, if they have one, but schools and other establishments
block people from using computers safely and force them to use unsafe but
'approved' systems instead.  For me a classic was a public library where
"Notepad" was blocked but MS Word was infected.

There have been various work-arounds, such as installing programs to a
Cloud or Virtual Machine or LiveCd/Usb or portable apps;
https://www.howtogeek.com/290358/what-is-a-portable-app-and-why-does-it-matter/
http://www.winpenpack.com/en/index.php
https://portableapps.com/
but people using MS stuff a lot are very scared of letting people do
anything useful because they think that is where malware, security attacks
and big problems come from.  Ironically when anyone gives any of the
alternatives a fair go they quickly become seen as an untrustable geek
trying to lead people astray.

I definitely like the idea of using a standard signature quietly letting
people know i use an alternative.
Thanks and regards from
a Tom :)

Enviar: lunes 30 de abril de 2018 a las 17:11
De: "James Knott" <james.knott@jknott.net>
Para: users@global.libreoffice.org
Asunto: Re: [libreoffice-users] How many of you deal with the Linux
Users Group [Facebook]?

On 04/30/2018 08:32 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
Today, I will be drafting the final exam for my students. I will use
LO
Writer for the task. I will then email it to my students and they will
type their answers right onto the computer file and email it back to
me.
I need to get the file to my students in a format they can easily use
with their computers. I will use .DOC for this purpose because it's
the
easiest solution to this situation.

Recent versions of MS Office are supposed to be able to work with Open
Document files.  Have you tried to see what happens when you use it with
ODF files?

deleted

That is exactly right, no student today should have a problem reading an
odt file with MS Office as odt support has been incorporated in MSO since
2007 when MSO also defaulted to the docx format as a result of criticism of
its closed formats.

Having been sickened early on by the "advertising" coming from Apple,
Samsung and others, the "signature" of my business mail notes that it was
produced using Linux and open-source applications. (If I am forced to use a
mobile, it notes that K-9 Mail is the FOSS source.) One should be making
every effort to promote open source and letting the world know that there
alternatives to the commercial applications that try to hold us captive.

In the case of students, I would go a step further with a footnote:

*The attached file was produced by LibreOffice, a powerful Free and
Open-Source Software (FOSS) office suite and saved in the Open Document
Format. To learn more about FOSS, click here. To learn more about
LibreOffice and download it for free, click here.

The FOSS link might be to this: https://www.gnu.org/
philosophy/free-sw.html. Of course a link could also be provided to a
Wikipedia or other page about ODF.

deleted