       Ok, now that that's clear as mud  ;-)

          anyone care for a piece of Mississippi Mud  ;-)

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Felmon Davis <davisf@union.edu> wrote:

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012, Tom Davies wrote:

 Hi :)

If rsync is available on Windows then it might not be so easy to charge
people so much for apps that do back-ups.  Unless no-one knew about it of
course.

kind of like with LO....

anyway, there are Windows versions.

 I tried a back-up utility that looked great until i used it to restore a
bootable Windows and found the Windows boot-loader was completely lost
because things were not in exactly the right place.

in my experience Windows7 puts some kind of 'metadata' file at some exact
location in the middle or towards the end of the 'boot' partition; it
screws up if it doesn't find it exactly where it expects it. thus one has
to be cautious about resizing a Windows partition with non-Windows software.

 Someone suggested using dd but to grep it through some archiving tool.  I
did fix the Windows restored drive but by installing Grub2.  Grub2 survived
the back-up and restore process but it felt like i was cheating because the
whole purpose was to restore the machine to exactly the way it arrived from
the store.

I'm going to ask about grepping a dd through an archiving tool on
http://www.linuxquestions.org
to see if they can give me a good idea of how to actually write the
command.

it's easier just to google it (I always forget the syntax); lot of useful
pages but perhaps this is a start <http://wiki.eeeuser.com/**
backup_restore <http://wiki.eeeuser.com/backup_restore>>.

the thing about dd is that it is _exact_ so suppose you have 30g on a 100g
partition; dd will copy all 110g including 'empty' space. this also means
you cannot restore to a partition that is smaller than 100g.

this is good for that Windows 7 issue since everything is exactly in
place. I'd be more inclined to shrink that partition using Windows, thus
avoiding the metadata problem, and then back up, etc.

F.

From: Felmon Davis <davisf@union.edu>
To: users@global.libreoffice.org Sent: Tuesday, 4 December 2012, 19:23
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] query re. LO crashing ...

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, anne-ology wrote:

        rsync  ???

       I think i are sinking fast ...

sink  vb sinks, sinking, sank ; sunk, sunken

you are probably just joshing around but 'sync' has nothing to do with
'sink'; one is germanic, the other is greek.

'syn'+'chronos' as in 'synchronize'.

sometimes the spelling of words, like the syntax of directory paths,
matters.

(and 'syntax' has nothing to do with 'sin' or 'taxes'!)

'rsync' is a great utility; I assume it's available for Windows but I
don't know but there's certainly equivalent stuff.

F.