The "scale to fit" is likely to scale down (reduce in size) whatever you are trying to print in
order to fit the paper-size.  It can be a useful feature but obviously not in this case!

Perhaps

Format - Page - Page (2nd tab) - Paper size

Is a better option?  Don't worry.  We have all done something similar at some point so you are not
alone.  Happy new year!