This link about the User Profile might explain a few things
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/UserProfile

Uninstalling any version of LibreOffice does not remove all the settings and configurations,
Extensions (Add-ons), galleries and so on.  They are all left in your User Profile.  So, the
standard way to upgrade is to uninstal any previous version and then do a fresh install of the new
one and let it pick up all your old settings.

If you wanted to "get back to factory settings" then instead of doing a reinstall you would just
rename your user profile, effectively backing-up your old one in case getting back to defaults
didn't fix the problem you had been facing.

Most OpenSource projects seem to work the same way, eg Firefox (web-browser), Gimp (picture
editing) and so on.