Travel Expenses Reimbursement Policy

The Travel Expenses Reimbursement Policy
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Policies/Travel) appears to
say that if one chooses not to fly the cheapest way, or chooses to
stay at an expensive hotel, then no reimbursement at all will be
allowed.

I would think that the policy should say something like "only the cost
of low-cost economy airfare will be reimbursed; if travellers choose a
more expensive fare, they will be responsible for the difference in
cost" and similar for the cost of accommodation.

--Jean

That open the doors to 'what _is_ the cheapest fare' ? what degree of
reasonableness should be applied ( the 'cheapest' fare could entail 3
stop and an overnight lay-over...
and cheapest _when_ ?... on a typical flight there are more fare than
there are seat on the plane...)

I think the trick is to get approval _before_ the fact with a
'budgeted cost'... and reimbursement would be 'up-to' and approved
sum.

Norbert

Hello,

I would think that the policy should say something like "only the cost
of low-cost economy airfare will be reimbursed; if travellers choose a
more expensive fare, they will be responsible for the difference in
cost" and similar for the cost of accommodation.

it's indeed a problem of calculating that. Thorsten, are there any tax-limitations we need to consider, is this possible at all (independent from whether we want this or not)?

Florian

Florian Effenberger wrote:

>I would think that the policy should say something like "only the cost
>of low-cost economy airfare will be reimbursed; if travellers choose a
>more expensive fare, they will be responsible for the difference in
>cost" and similar for the cost of accommodation.

it's indeed a problem of calculating that. Thorsten, are there any
tax-limitations we need to consider, is this possible at all
(independent from whether we want this or not)?

The limitations are that we're not supposed to pay 'benefits' to
members. Reasonable travel costs incurred by members on a trip on
behalf of TDF are of course reimbursable upon board approval.

The policy though states that "TDF will reimburse or pay the cost...
...of the lowest coach class fare" - which I read that TDF does not
insist on you actually booking coach.

Norbert's remark is of course valid - so it's best to agree on a sum
beforehand, instead of haggling over that after the fact.

HTH,

Of course, that statement is almost meaningless in today's air travel market. There is no objective way to identify "the lowest coach class fare" for a given journey. The market is dynamic and global; the price can change hourly; there are no historical records; the prices available to you depend on your booking system anyway. As written the statement helps no-one and merely creates uncertainty for everyone involved, including TDF.

It would be better to say:
"TDF will reimburse or pay the cost of your flight on condition you commit to using the lowest cost coach fare reasonably available to you"
if that's what you mean, or
"TDF will contribute to your air travel costs an amount no more than the lowest-cost coach fare it would be reasonable to buy, as agreed in advance with the Board or its nominated agent"
if you actually are happy to contribute towards higher cost fares.

S.

I usually search for the lowest cost fare and do a screen capture to document what I would have paid had I chosen to fly that way and book on that day. This would fit in with Simon's second wording suggestion, below, and the probable intent of the rule.

Jean

Jean Weber wrote:

I usually search for the lowest cost fare and do a screen capture
to document what I would have paid had I chosen to fly that way
and book on that day. This would fit in with Simon's second
wording suggestion, below, and the probable intent of the rule.

Hi Jean,

yep, I agree. Let's operate on that interpretation, see what other
improvements can be made to the text, and then roll in the change in
bulk. I would think the LibOCon will get us some more scrutiny of
that policy. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

-- Thorsten