I think Immanuel's question about what are the differences for users is more important.

With regard to technicalities:

It happens that ASF projects do not accept GPL/LGPL code into their code bases.  Period.  That's
the ASF and it applies to ASF projects, including Apache OpenOffice.

On the other hand, ALv2 code is deemed compatible with LGPL/GPL by the Free Software Foundation,
and it is possible for a project like LibreOffice to incorporate and/or derive from ALv2 code
without consequence.  It is necessary to honor the ALv2 by providing notices concerning code that
is derived from ALv2 code, but that doesn't place any reciprocal obligation.  (It is similar to
employment of BSD and MIT license code in a GPL project.)

I agree that developers have their own preferences and ideological positions on where they are
willing to contribute.

I contribute to Alv2-licensed projects and I agree to the ASF rules for Apache committers.  It
satisfies me that anyone who receives code from me can do essentially all of the things that I can
do with it and they are assured that I can't revoke that grant.  I still have all of my rights to
what I contribute.  That's where I stand with regard to licensing.  I have quarrel with others who
want their code to be handled differently.

 - Dennis