Yeh, Impress doesn't seem to attract quite as many devs as Writer, or even
Calc.  I suspect that more get involved with Draw too but Base languishes
even further behind.  The people working on Base are fantastic but it would
be nice to attract more people  to work on Impress and Base.

I think the main problem is using the Microsoft formats Pps and Ppt.  They
are probably tons better than PptX and PpsX in terms of being able to run
on a wider range of programs (including other versions of MS Office) but MS
seldom "plays well with others" and seems to use incompatibilities as a
method of forcing people into buying their latest products.  Their primary
objective is to raise profits for their shareholders.

If you could save the presentation as an Odp and then add the audio back in
and save again then i suspect you will find the audio and images work
fine.

Thanks for testing this out so far and getting so far with it.

On 25 December 2014 at 13:43, M Henri Day <mhenriday@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmm, if you make a copy of a DocX (and Odt) then you can rename the
file-ending from .docx to .zip.  Then a double click opens the file as
though it's a normal zip-file.  The audio part is probably saved in a
folder inside there.

However i get the feeling that the audio component IS already in the Odt
but just not playing correctly and i don't know why.

​Here, Tom,​

​is what I did - while, like you, convinced that the audio file is already
contained in the pps (after all, it works find with MS Powerpoint), I
decided to use VidtoMP3.com's service to extract it from
4peonies.com/VanGogh.pps and then, after checking that I could play the
resulting .mp3 file in VLC, attempted to insert it into a .ppt version of
the original presentation file. After doing so, I renamed that file back to
.pps and tried to play it on Impress. To my surprise, I now got the music,
but the images did not automatically presented in succession, as expected
and as they had previously. When I pressed the space bar to initiate the
image presentation, they were presented in succession, but the sound
disappeared !...

My Impression (pardon the pun !) is that Impress is one of the weaker
elements in the LO package, as compared, e g, with Writer and Calc. I'd
very much like to see some comment on this matter - and hopefully
suggestions for remedying the problem - from one of the LO developers who
is working with Impress....

Henri
​

On 24 December 2014 at 20:16, anne-ology <laginnis@gmail.com> wrote:

       Just downloaded then attempted to play this -
           then I opened it in LO to find that there is no sound
attached.

Therefore here's another example of where MsFt is able to play a sound
byte
which LO must consider as dangerous  ???

A possible solution:
play in MsFt PP then go 'behind the scenes' to collect the audio sound
byte ...
then piece the video with the audio together & save for your enjoyment.

From: M Henri Day <mhenriday@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] No audio in Impress with the famous Don
McLean Vincent van Gogh pps-file on Linux Mint 17.1
To: anne-ology <laginnis@gmail.com>
Cc: "LibreOffice, users" <users@global.libreoffice.org>

​<snip>​

From: M Henri Day <mhenriday@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 2:38 PM
McLean
Vincent van Gogh pps-file on Linux Mint 17.1
To: "LibreOffice, users" <users@global.libreoffice.org>

​I e, I get the slide show, ​but no sound. If I attempt to play the
presentation in, e g, VLC Media Player, I get the music, but no images.
Very frustrating ?...

Any suggestions as to how I can get *son et lumière* to work together,
preferably in Impress ? I can mention that I've installed
libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer, but no joy....
​​
Henri​

​<snip>​
deleted