As James said it might well be better to make a separate partition for your /home.  It's easier to
do that during the install process but this link can be handy if you want to try this post-install.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
If the way you are doing it keeps working then you might as well stick to that but thee are other
advantages to having a separate /home

The way Don is doing it doesn't work for a very few programs (such as Evolution (an alternative to
Thunderbird&Lightning)) but does work for almost all afaik.  I used to do the same thing but since
2010 the upgrade process has been really, really smooth so i have often gone for that instead now.
I do occasionally do a fresh install onto the same machine but that is for other reasons (such as
testing or just to get more practice or because my fiddling around has broken something i don't
know how to fix and then want it back the way it was before i started fiddling).

I've even found that i can do a fresh install over the top of an existing one and that keeps all my
settings&configs as long as i didn't format the partition during the install.  I have installed a
10.04 over the top of a 10.10 and then when i opened Firefox all the same tabs opened that i had
left open in the 10.10.  Errr, my main reasoning there was to try to upgrade an unsupported version
without having to use subsequent versions that were also unsupported.  By going backwards to the
10.04 LTS (LTS= Long Term Support) i was then able to upgrade LTS to LTS to get to the 12.04LTS.
Again Firefox remembered all my tabs.  Afterwards i realised i could have just done a fresh install
of the 12.04 instead of using the 10.04LS as a stepping stone.  Hindsight is great isn't it! ;)