Pikov, *,

-----Original Message-----
From: Pikov Andropov [mailto:pikov22@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 6:31 PM
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] What version?

V Stuart Foote wrote on 8/6/2014 6:34 PM:
No great mystery.

If they are more conservative--LibreOffice 4.2.6 is a solid build, somewhat
lacking in the latest office features.
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-still/

If they have more tolerance for change, and accept the potential for some
as yet undescribed bugs affecting use, then early adoption of the 4.3.0
branch is a reasonable choice.
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/

Both are good well tested software packages.

Interesting answer.

I think you're saying that 4.2.6 is essentially bugfree, but 4.3.x is not.

I suppose that an "undescribed" bug is one that the LO developers dd not
discover during their testing, and that we users are the next test bed.
I generally eschew programs with version numbers ending in 0, for that
very reason.

I just checked and I see that I have v4.0.1.2. "Check for updates" tells
me that 4.2.5 (no typo!) is available for manual downloading. Where are
4.2.6 and 4.3.0?

See the URLs provided, they will detect the browser language in use and offer that build of
LibreOffice.

The rest of your comment is correct. No shame in avoiding the initial 4.3.0 or 4.3.1 release,  but
by the 4.3.2 release (week of Sep 22, 2014) as the 4.2.7 release is finalized (4.2 branch EOL is 19
Nov) --all users should be considering a shift to the 4.3 branch by that point.   And then briefly
remain on only the 4.3 branch until release of the initial 4.4.0 build (week of 26 Jan,
2015)--which will  coincide with the 4.3.5 release.

More details and rational for the time based release train are on the project wiki here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Release_Plan