Hi Tom and others !

1.  I was thinking more like a couple of days.
Sundays might be good to catch the weekend crowd and
still catch the early week-days people.

sure

2.  Do you need to grab all the time or can you leave
the grabs to batch process them?

batch process would do . grab data once in two days say .....

If rebooting into
Windows is something you only need to do 1/day or
something then it might not be so tough.

I plan to get out of windows totally ...but that is a plan

Typically new machines come with Windows included in
the price and may even cost more without Windows.

I didn't know this ... hmm... then my plan fails ! I can stop writing here :-( !

It's a bit bizarre.  It's partly due to bulk
purchasing and partly due to special deals made on the
obligatory bundled software.  Some people call it "the
Windows tax" because it means every new pc sale
generates some income for MS regardless of whether it
will ever get used or not.

I see

In
the unlikely event that you have the installer Cds for
your old version of MS Office you might be able to
install that on your newer machine

I do NOT have the old CDs

The easier route is to just drastically shrink the
Windows partitions and avoid booting into them at all.

ok

Install Ubuntu (or whatever) as a dual-boot but just
avoid using the Windows on that drive.  If you already
had your old hard-drive from your old machine plugged
in when installing Ubuntu then you old version of
Windows will automatically appear in the boot-menu but
if you add the drive later (my preferred way) then
just updating grub adds it in.

I have to check IF there are web tutorials on how to do this ..... I know you have written a lot,
but I'm lost when it comes to dual boot / dos commands / Cont + alt + T etc !!! :-(

4.  MS Office is horribly bloated with tons of stuff
that 90% of users never use.

agreed

As for VBA isn't that based on Basic which was
popular in the 1980's?  LibreOffice/OpenOffice seem to
offer a choice of 4 languages for macros.  I think
Python is probably far better and more secure but
apparently Javascript is another alternative.

I din't know this. even IF I did , do I know how to use phython ? NO.. !! so ..., I've lost you on
a lot of what is said after this line ! :-(

I've
not heard of BeanShell before.  If you really need
Basic then LibreOffice/OpenOffice basic is different
enough that the malware that macros are famous for
don't work or are unlikely to work in LibreOffice.  I
don't think MS Office lets you choose different
languages for macros.  Python sounds like a much
better option.

Thanks and regards

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 01:49:07 +0100
From: tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk
grab specific web data into libre calc
To: Hisupiramani@hotmail.com; users@global.libreoffice.org

Hi :)
So the official forum is at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu
along with a ton of other stuff.  Ubuntu is so huge that it easily supports several communities and
there is
 another forum at
http://ubuntuforums.org/forum.php
and there is the cross-distro forum at
http://www.linuxquestions/org

The Windows way is to slash-and-burn, to completely lose the older system when you want to move to
something new (or just different).  This means you get stuck with Win7 (or Win8 or whatever) before
you have any idea how to use it.

The Gnu&Linux way is to install alongside so that you can keep using the older system so that you
can keep meeting deadlines but allows you to test-drive the newer system and gradually become more
familiar with
 it.

A good migration path into Ubuntu is to
1.   use some of the same apps in Windows.  So move away from Internet Explorer and start using
Firefox (so you can still use IE if you need to), install
 LibreOffice/OpenOffice in Windows but keep whatever version of MS Office you use, Gimp instead of
Photoshop and so on until you feel comfortable with change.

During that phase it's good to get an old machine out of a cupboard or something so you can try
installing Ubuntu (or whatever) as a Dual-boot without losing Windows.  It's reasonably easy and
has a fairly automatic path but it's still a good idea to have a practice.  Ubuntu is one of the
few that has a cunning way of installing inside Windows but it's better to do a proper dual-boot.

2.  At first you are probably going to boot into Windows more than Ubuntu.  Don't worry about it.
Just push yourself into using Ubuntu to
 explore.

3.  Eventually you will start finding things are faster and often easier in Ubuntu although there
are probably a couple of things you feel the need to tweak quite a bit.  There may still be
 one or 2 odd things that you haven't had time to figure out so it's easier to keep the Windows for
those rare things.  Probably most of us have a Windows fairly near at hand, although outside of
work i would be hard-pushed to find mine nowadays.  In work i probably use them about
half-and-half.

When NASA find a new place far from Earth they don't start by trying a landing straight away.  They
have a 3 step process with each step learning more and more until they know enough to have a
reasonable chance of a smooth landing rather than just crashing
1.  Fly-by
2.  Orbit
3.  Test-landings

In most engineering disciplines it's generally considered a good idea to build a mock-up
 or prototype before launching into full-scale production.

So quite why the Windows world wants you to always abandon your working system and replace it with
something completely new and different is a bit
 of a mystery.  It makes people nervous about trying the new thing if they can't return to their
familiar system.

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:00:05 -0700
From: ml-node+s969070n4051163h58@n3.nabble.com
To: Hisupiramani@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: How to grab web data into libre office calc ? Or Addons to grab specific web
 data into libre calc

    Hi :)

You are asking in the right place and hopefully someone might have a good

answer for you or be able to point to places that might have more

detailed knowledge of what you are looking for.  Most of us started with Windows and many of us
still use it a lot.

I tried a search for "smb" and then for "web" on our Extensions / Add-ons / Plug-ins site

http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center?getCategories=&getCompatibility=any&sort_on=positive_ratings&path=%2FLibreOffice-Extensions-and-Templates%2Fextension-center&portal_type=PSCProject&SearchableText=web
but didn't find much.  It might be better to search in OpenOffice's

Extensions as many of them probably still work well or have maintainers

that might be interested in updating it in order to make it work in

LibreOffice.  Also the OpenOffice forums might be a good place to post

questions but if you do and post here as well then it's polite to let

both places know when you have found an answer and what the
 answer was.

Also most versions of Gnu&Linux (=distros) have their own forums and

mailing lists so it might similarly be good to post questions there in a similar way.  Which distro
do you use at the
 moment?  Ubuntu/Mint,

Mageia, Fedora , openSUSE or which?  DistroWatch is a good place to

look-up the official forum/mailing-list for your distro

http://distrowatch.com
for example to find the Ubuntu ones try here (it redirects)

http://distrowatch.com/ubuntu
for Fedora find some good links here

http://distrowatch.com/fedora

There is also a general-purpose forum at

http://www.linuxquestions/org
that covers
 many, maybe all different distros but often you get answers from people using completely different
distros, possibly even from different families so you sometimes have to figure out how to apply it
to yours.  Most programs are either the
 same in each;  LibreOffice/OpenOffice,

Firefox, Thunderbird and many others.  Sometimes they choose slightly

different choices such as Chrome, Seamonkey, Opera instead of Firefox, similarly with utilities
such as your  "package manager" so it doesn't take much to work out how to apply their advice and
people at LinuxQuestions might even help with that.

Also there are other LibreOffice places such as AskLibO

http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/questions/

and other places you can find at

http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/
but i still prefer this mailing-list.

Good luck and regards from

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 13:02:08 -0500

specific web data into libre calc

From: [hidden email]

To: [hidden email]

CC: [hidden
 email]

      Could you highlight the area(s) you desire then copy then paste to wherever you wish the
data?

           that's my system;

      [but I may not be understanding to what you're referring since I have no clue as what smf
is  ;-)  ]

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Happylibre wrote:

Hi

Preamble ...skip if in a
 hurry

*I've been on the m$ office treadmill for 15 + years

*I've always been scared of Linux and thought it was all command line

*Recently stumbled on Linux and libre office ...so I am  completely new to

libre
 office

*Used it for a few days ... Truly it's a great piece of software and

dispelled most of my doubts on Linux, using Linux, libre office etc etc

Question / request reading

*However some specific doubts remain on libre office

*I've been using M$ XL's add on for grabbing web data , called smf add in

*When activated, once could easily grab specific pages,
 specific cells of

web pages directly into xl ( without opening a web browser)

*This is a great time saver

*The only and only /  excellent  group for using smf add in  can be found at

*Some  basic write up on using smf add in can be found here

http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/326478-derek-a-barrett/1414481-automating-alpha-getting-started-with-stock-market-functions-smf-add-in-for-excel

Now, my question is , is there a similar add in for libre
 office, when

invoked , could help the user  get specific cells ( not the whole web page )

from a URL  into libre xl sheets ? Of course the user supplies the URL

Or is there some app in Linux that can do the same
 ?

How do people grab specific web data ( not entire pages ) but specific data

for web pages into libre calc ?

Request to Moderators ; if I am posting on the wrong area or group please

most this post accordingly

Thanks in advance

Regards

--

For

All
 messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/How-to-grab-web-data-into-libre-office-calc-Or-Addons-to-grab-specific-web-data-into-libre-calc-tp4051120p4051163.html

        To unsubscribe from How to grab web data into libre office calc ? Or
 Addons to grab specific web data into libre calc, click here.

        NAML