Ahh great!!  Ok, there was a lot of interesting and relevant comments
in Charles' reply that i snipped in order to try to avoid going off on potentially interesting
tangents.

So, for me the crucial points in Charles' reply were that
1.  We DO have 2 branches actively developed alongside each other
2.  Stable is NOT always = old
3.  1 branches has tons of extra features
4.  the other branch has had "maintenance releases"

Earlier in the thread there were comments stating that
a)  3 probably has tons more bugs than 4  BUT we wont know for certain until after tons of people
have tried 3.  Just from previous experiences of 3's in other projects and other human endeavours
we can EXPECT but NOT be CERTAIN that there are likely to be lots more bugs&regressions / flaws in
3 than in 4.

As an aside
I agree that saying 4 is "stable" implies that 3 is "unstable" which is an inaccurate description
of 3.  Sadly "stable" is the word used in tons of other projects and people are just about
beginning to understand it.  Using a different word would be confusing.

Calling 3 a "development release" is also inaccurate and i agree we should avoid it even though
other projects use it.  A better word for 3 is "exciting", perhaps we could say "cutting edge" or
"packed with new features" or copy sliTaz's idea of calling it a "cooking release" (Ok, i'm not
keen on sliTaz's but it is cute).  There are tons of very positive things that can be said about a
new release of a new branch, as i keep on saying.

I really like the graphic / graph that someone made for the top of this page
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan
I think that sums it up well.  It makes it very clear and easy to understand.

Please everyone just delete the email i just sent about 40minutes ago.
Don't read it!!  I was annoyed and pre-coffee.  There was a flaw created by lack of coffee and by
not
having got back this far in my emails.