Draft Writer Guide files on the wiki

Yesterday, I wrote:

If/when someone from the LibO team decides to tackle the Calc Guide or
any other guides, they can pick up the OOo version from ODFAuthors or
ask me, or Hal, or anyone else with both an ODFAuthors account and an
Alfresco account, to provide copies to the Alfresco site as a start to
rebranding.

Jeremy, perhaps when you have a bit of time, you could make spaces, or
whatever they're called, for the other books, ready to receive the
files.

I just noticed that those spaces are there. Probably have been for some
time, but I hadn't noticed. Sorry, Jeremy; you're probably wondering
"what is she on about?" :slight_smile:

Shall I start uploading the OOo files to the Drafts folders for Draw,
Calc, Math, for people to work on rebranding when they have a chance?

The OOo Impress Guide, btw, needs more updating. Michele Zarri is
working on it, though I don't have a estimated date when he'll had the
revised draft ready.

--Jean

Hi, :slight_smile:

If we remove the
Writer Guide files, what are the users going to read if they need some
documentation? Especially since 3.3 was just released and many people will
be visiting the site. They need to be able to download something, even if
it's not finished.

This week, I'll start contributing work on the remaining chapters that
need attention, and I hope we'll get an acceptable version to
publishable status *very quickly*.

I also thought that the documentation development page for working files
should not have been deleted so quickly. Alfresco is only in it's infantcy
as far as implementation goes. It would have been nice to have kept it until
things are more ironed out.

IMHO, Jeremy and Samphan's work is ready for start of docs work, and -
by starting work with the existing Alfresco workflow they've produced
- we can quickly fix anything we run across.

In any case, I've finished the work on the website that I was doing.
So, from now on, I'll be working to get up to speed with Alfresco and
the current situation in docs, and will be actively taking part in the
work you guys are doing.

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

David Nelson

Hi Jean, :slight_smile:

Shall I start uploading the OOo files to the Drafts folders for Draw,
Calc, Math, for people to work on rebranding when they have a chance?

Yes, please, that would be great.

David Nelson

I'll start on that later tonight or tomorrow, in between preparing for
the cyclone that's forecast to arrive around 04:00 or so on Monday.

I may (probably will) be off the air, except possibly for the phone, for
some time on Monday or even longer; downed power lines are quite common
here in big winds and the UPS holding up our router will do so only for
a few hours.

--Jean

Hi :slight_smile:

I think David and all have got Alfresco organised very well already and are
quite quick to respond if things need doing.

At this point i think we need to move over to alfresco en-masse to see if anyone
has any minor glitches with it as they work. I think that is the fastest way to
completing our first published result too.

Plenty of people have been beta-testing our implementation of Alfresco and it's
ready for general use. Hanging back would create problems now imo. Heck, even
i have used it successfully!

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Ouch, so you and Egypt will be offline at the same time. Good luck and take
care!

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Jean, :slight_smile:

I'll start on that later tonight or tomorrow, in between preparing for
the cyclone that's forecast to arrive around 04:00 or so on Monday.

Well, take care and good luck with it. We've been on the edge of one
here, too, for a few days, judging by the constant rain.

David Nelson

Hi Tom, *,

there is a world outside Alfresco inside our OpenSource-Project!

Hi :slight_smile:

I think David and all have got Alfresco organised very well already and are
quite quick to respond if things need doing.

At this point i think we need to move over to alfresco en-masse to see if
anyone has any minor glitches with it as they work. I think that is the
fastest way to completing our first published result too.

If the adapted documents from ODFAuthors should be translated into other languages,
they had to be published outside Alfresco (wiki, website) in ODF-Fileformat. It is
also necessary that the current status of every document is written on this list.
This is necessary from two reasons:
-- new volunteers / other members are only able to jump in, if they know about the
upcomming work,
-- translation teams / other parts of our community are not aware of new documents or
prospective new documents (they had to look for volunteers to do the work asap).

Plenty of people have been beta-testing our implementation of Alfresco and
it's ready for general use. Hanging back would create problems now imo.
Heck, even i have used it successfully!

The Alfresco site is only one choice to do the documentation work. There are other
ways and our members are free to choose the way that fits best for them (or their
group).

Regards,
Andreas

I think each group (language team, or at least a group working on a
particular book) needs to choose where to coordinate that work. The English
team, or its leaders anyway, appear to have chosen to use Alfresco. If some
members of the team work elsewhere, then we run a great risk of duplication
and confusion.

Of course, that does not need to affect any other language team's decision.

Nor, in my opinion, does it mean that people working on a new book, or some
other documentation project within LibreOffice, need to use Alfresco.

Hal

*Published* documents are going on the wiki. Alfresco is only for
working on the docs.

--Jean

If the adapted documents from ODFAuthors should be translated into other
languages,
they had to be published outside Alfresco (wiki, website) in
ODF-Fileformat.

As Jean just posted, published docs are going on the wiki.

It is
also necessary that the current status of every document is written on this
list.
This is necessary from two reasons:
-- new volunteers / other members are only able to jump in, if they know
about the
upcomming work,
-- translation teams / other parts of our community are not aware of new
documents or
prospective new documents (they had to look for volunteers to do the work
asap).

I agree we should be mentioning on the list which docs we are working on and
at what stage.

I also think it would be good to restore to the wiki the table of chapters
with who is working on what, at what stage. The links don't need to be
there, but for quickly looking up the status of things, it's handy. Or at
least it is if people continue to fill in the table as we were doing before.

Hal

Hi Jean,

> If the adapted documents from ODFAuthors should be translated into other
> languages, they had to be published outside Alfresco (wiki, website) in
> ODF-Fileformat.

*Published* documents are going on the wiki. Alfresco is only for
working on the docs.

OK. But we need status messages about the documents, so that every member of this
list is aware about upcomming / finished work. I explained in my last why this
messages are necessary (you are working on the authors-list very successful this way
:wink:

Regards,
Andreas

I think a place we can look-up status would be very much more useful and MUCH
less annoying than the email blizzard.

It was a good idea to check it out and see how it went and seemed like a great
idea at the time.

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Yes, I agree. I see Hal has just said something too.

--Jean

Having both emails and a status page on the wiki is IMO best.

I am often limited to using my phone for Internet access. Email works,
but accessing a wiki (or most websites) is just too painful to
contemplate except when absolutely necessary.

When I get an iPad, my views might change... :wink:

--Jean

Perhaps it should be an option? Tick to subscribe or something (or untick to
unsubscribe might be better)?

Having hundreds of emails to wade through every day is getting really tiresome
and might lose us contributors.

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Does this list create hundreds? I hadn't noticed that many, though today has
been a bit more active than most days. (I don't subscribe to any of the
other lists because of the numbers of emails.)

Hal

Calc Guide is now on Alfresco, in the Calc Drafts space.

Jean

Jean Hollis Weber ha scritto:

If the adapted documents from ODFAuthors should be translated into other languages, they had to be published outside Alfresco (wiki, website) in ODF-Fileformat.

*Published* documents are going on the wiki. Alfresco is only for
working on the docs.

--Jean

Hello *,
Is it possible to get an account for alfresco, to have a look at it, before the italian team starts working on ODFAuthors for libreoffice localization? So that we avoid starting on ODFAuthors and switch after a month or two to alfresco...
Where to register? Links?
Thank you!
Namaste all! :slight_smile:

Certainly. The prevailing standard for ones user id on Alfresco is first
and last name. Would you like an alfresco account setup with that
user id? If so, what are they? Otherwise, what do you prefer?

-- jdc