North-America DVD site broken ( Re: [us-marketing] Changind the URL for this mailing list from US to NA)

> "http://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/info/" has a link on the
> "dvd." page and it goes to an information page that looks like
> internal
> information for the CMS server system.

Great - ok - well, I can go admin section now then and see what I can
do.

Let you know when It;s fixed

Well, I reset what I thought would fix this - but no luck.

This is really acting odd.

for instance if you try this URL

http://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/info

or any URL that points to an actual page on this site it execute the
function phpino() - not what anyone wants.

but if you send it to a page that actually doesn't exist
i.e.
http://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/info.jnk

it ends up displaying a copy of the info page that was being transfered
from the static site... in other words it appears to be fairly well
hosed.

Alright - thinking I can do two things:

1- I could try deleting _everything_ and start over. But if there is
something internal, for example in the database entries used by SS, for
this sub-domain, that may do nothing either

2 - have Cloph do the same but at the site admin level

So - I'm including the projects list on this email, and CC Flroian and
Christian, to ask for help and we will go from there.

Of course Christian may want to take time to see if he can unwind this,
but I'm just thinking that since there wasn't much there anyway it may
in the long run be faster just to 'do-over' from a clean state.

Will let you know,

drew

Hi Drew, *,

"http://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/info/" has a link on the
"dvd." page and it goes to an information page that looks like
internal information for the CMS server system.

Great - ok - well, I can go admin section now then and see what I can
do.
Let you know when It;s fixed

Well, I reset what I thought would fix this - but no luck.
This is really acting odd.
for instance if you try this URL
http://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/info

Well the 'homepage' of a site works best when the URL ends with ../home
although it 'should' work when it's defined as a homepage of a dedicated
url defined on the Behaviour tab - which does not always work as expected...

So I've changed it now to
https://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/home/
and things seem to work, pls check.

Cheers
Erich

Going to "https://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/home/" gives me the error information below.
It seems that Firefox, or some security system, does not like the "security certificate" for that URL.

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely,
sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to
this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is
trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

Technical Details

dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for the following names:
   *.libreofficebox.org , libreofficebox.org

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

I Understand the Risks

> Hi Drew, *,

>>> Great - ok - well, I can go admin section now then and see what I can
>>> do.
>>> Let you know when It;s fixed
>> Well, I reset what I thought would fix this - but no luck.
>> This is really acting odd.
>> for instance if you try this URL
>> http://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/info
> Well the 'homepage' of a site works best when the URL ends with ../home
> although it 'should' work when it's defined as a homepage of a dedicated
> url defined on the Behaviour tab - which does not always work as expected...
>
> So I've changed it now to
> https://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/home/
> and things seem to work, pls check.

Hi Erich, Tim

@Erich - Thanks a BUNCH

(note the other error I mentioned in the PM seems to be fixed now
also...double thanks :slight_smile:

Going to "https://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/home/" gives me
the error information below.
It seems that Firefox, or some security system, does not like the
"security certificate" for that URL.

@Tim - It's working for me here, Firefox 4.0.1 and Chromium 12.0.7..
(both under Ubuntu 11.04), though I had to accept the certificate the
first time I hit the site.

//drew

Hi,

dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for the following names:
*.libreofficebox.org , libreofficebox.org

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

that's correct. Only one subdomain can be used, i.e. *.libreofficebox.org. Two subdomains, i.e. *.*.libreofficebox.org, do not work.

So, you can use dvd-northamerica.libreofficebox.org, but not dvd.northamerica.libreofficebox.org

Florian

Hi *,

[...]
that's correct. Only one subdomain can be used, i.e. *.libreofficebox.org.
Two subdomains, i.e. *.*.libreofficebox.org, do not work.

So, you can use dvd-northamerica.libreofficebox.org, but not
dvd.northamerica.libreofficebox.org

Well, https is only used by those working on the content, so it
shouldn't really matter whether the browser complains about the
certificate or not....

ciao
Christian

Drew
I never saw that error screen before on Firefox. The system did ask about certificate, but like Florian said, the double sub-domain was an issue. Actually, having "northamerica.libreofficebox.org/dvd" would be a nice way, with "northamerica.libreofficebox.org" being an intro page like the front page of "http://libreoffice-na.us/" is. That front page could tell people about the North American Community DVD project and then you could go to the DVD section from there.

Actually Ubuntu 10.04 just upgraded Firefox to 3.6.18. Last month Mozilla did not have 4.0 for Linux after my Windows laptop was upgraded to 4.0. Today the site had 5.0 for Linux. But the file "seems" to want you to run it via scripting lake the last one I saw for Linux. There was an article on znet? about why Firefox jumped so quickly to 5.0 after 4.0 came out. I may be able to find the link for you later, if you want to look at it.

It seems when I install Chromium, it takes over the browser defaults, even after I rerun the Firefox "make this the default browser" routine. So I removed it after I tried it.