In Win7 using LO 3.5.6 there seemed to be no problems

Ubuntu 12.04 using LO 3.5.4 also seemed fine.

Xp (Sp3 and fully updated as far as MS stuff goes) using 3.5.6 had trouble with the image and just
showed an empty box with the words "broken link" (or something like that) inside the box and a tiny
icon indicating  a broken image.

I suspect that my Xp issue might be different from the problem you having though.  Possibly you
might be able to fix yours by just increasing the amount of memory available by going to

Tools - Options - Memory

and then bump a lot of those values up a bit.  I still don't know how to set the xcu file or
whatever to make sure all users start off with the same settings and i'm a tad scared of messing
with Windows registry (even more scared than i am of messing with fstab in Gnu&Linux (not that they
are at all similar as they aren't.  I do know they do completely different things)).