Right!

Apache doesn't want any copyrights. It just wants to sublicense and
create derivative works.

More information (and the ICLA) are located here:
  http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 21:17, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
Here's my sense of how they are different things:

The ICLA is not a copyright assignment of any kind.  It is only a license and your affirmation
that you have the right to grant it.

The OCA non-exclusively transfers a property right.  The license doesn't work that way.  My
understanding is that differences include what can be sold/transferred and who can sue someone
for infringement.

With regard to copyright, the Apache ICLA is very much like the license that the terms of use for
the openoffice.org site assert that you are providing in making contributions on the site
(without having entered into any OCA).  That is not a copyright assignment either.  (Copyright
assignments *must* be made in writing in the United States.)

The ICLA also stipulates a grant of Patent License.  (So does the OCA. Not a transfer, a license.)

The ICLA also applies to contributions other than software.

 - Dennis