I think disdain is possibly closer than hatred.  I think bioth are quite far away from the reality
though.  I think it's simply that people would rather develop tools that are more robust and less
susceptible   to malware and slow-downs.

I think once you start using OpenSource tools you begin to realise that MS seem to have
deliberately built-in vulnerabilities and their slow-downs.  FOSS doesn't seem to suffer anything
like as much, although a bit of "system rot" is inevitable in almost any system.

I'm just installing Win7 on a handfull of machines and am able to make a couple of tweaks that
prevent their "Virtual Memory" from getting so heavily fragmented.  In previous versions of their
OS i have found it significantly reduces the slow-downs if you can do this early on.  On Win7 it
takes an extra couple of clicks but it's still really easy.  I always wonder why the default is to
set it to fragment as quickly as possible.  It's only with Win7 that their de-fragger tool can
defrag system files such as the Virtual Memory (err that is Swap to Gnu&Linux geeks lol).