Neither PDF nor ODF were initially designed by a global consortium like OASIS.  PDF and PostScript
have obvious origins, as does ODF in a proposal from Sun and its contribution the XML version of a
pre-ODF version of OpenOffice.org (and as does OOXML in a proposal to ECMA International from
Microsoft).

My friends at AIIM International and the various ISO Committees that have nurtured the
International Standards for PDF formats may feel rather hurt that their efforts to produce a set of
international, interoperable PDF standards is being besmirched in this manner.  (My friends who
work on the international standard for OOXML have learned to have thick skins.)

If you think about it, most of the standards that we have now in Information Technology started
because someone built something useful and it attracted enough interested attention (and a willing
contributor) to evolve into a formal standard.  Sometimes standards activities form in order to
solve a problem in interoperability.  ASCII emerged that way and now look at where we are today
with Unicode, something that was not dreamed of when characters were begrudgingly granted 6 bits of
precious memory space.  It is early days yet for ODF.

Adobe promised its hardware customers interoperability and fidelity.  The specifications for
Postscript were quite rigorous as are those for its derivative, PDF, for which there is also a
serious interoperability and fidelity promise. This made their uptake into international standards
and subsequent maintenance relatively easy.  ODF is not so simple.

 - Dennis