Yes, the programs can be made accessible that way, but it is very hard for a blind to do it without
sighted help.
So from the perspective of the final user, an application made accessible with scripts is OK, but
from the perspective of a blind programmer that should create the design of the GUI, or to make the
scripts for JAWS in order to improve the accessibility... is not exactly the same.

And what is the worst thing is that even the software companies which create screen readers care
only about the majority of users, and not about those few blind programmers that have much more
accessibility needs.

In LibreOffice's case is all right because it is pretty accessible and it is targetted to the
majority of users and not to developers that should manipulate the interface.

Octavian

From: "Christophe Strobbe" <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Hi Alex,

At 02:25 7/12/2010, Alex Midence wrote:
Well, my thinking is and always will be that Libre Office is better
off making itself accessible no matter what screen reader is used.

That is why LibreOffice (like OpenOffice.org) needs to support
accessibility APIs, keyboard access, desktop themes, etcetera. For a
screen reader to work with an application, the application needs to
implement the accessibility API (for example the Java Accessibility
API, which is not tied to a specific operating system), and the
screen reader needs to support that API. As far as I know, screen
readers on Windows have generally weak support for the Java Accessibility
API.

True, although the screen readers for Windows have a weak support for
SWING
API. The support for SWT is much better.

But the screen readers for Windows have a non-existent support for other
GUIs like Tk, GTK, QT...

(Note: Java accessibility on Windows requires the Java Access Bridge.
Oracle is working on a new version of this bridge that will be part
of the Java Runtime Environment instead of a separate download.)

This will be great, but hopefully the screen readers manufacturers will
also
offer a better support for SWING.

JAWS for Windows offer some support for Java Access Bridge as it is now,
but
only in a virtual buffer, so the apps are seen like web pages.

SWING is slower than SWT anyway, and that weak support offered by JAWS
makes
the apps much less responsive, but what's the most important for blind
programmers is that it is very hard if impossible to make the design of
the
GUI, because in the SWING apps, JAWS doesn't offer that "JAWS cursor" for
allowing us to "see" the position of each window control on the screen.

I heard that Window Eyes started to offer a better support for SWING than
JAWS but I haven't tested it.

By the way, what interface is LibreOffice using? I've tested OpenOffice
and
it was pretty accessible although I don't remember if I had Java Access
Bridge installed. Does it use something else than SWING?

Thanks.

Octavian

--
E-mail to accessibility+help@libreoffice.org for instructions on how to