[ANN] LibreOffice 3.5.0 beta0 available

Hi *,

for the upcoming new version 3.5.0, we start with a beta0 build that
likely will have a few rough edges, and is not yet feature-complete.
We will feature-freeze next Monday, and then branch off the code -
release plan timings are here:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan#3.5_release

Builds are now being uploaded to a public (but non-mirrored - so don't
spread news too widely!) place, as soon as they're available. Grab
them here:

http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/pre-releases/

If you've a bit of time, please give them a try & report *critical*
bugs not yet in bugzilla here, so we can incorporate them into the
release notes. Please note that it takes approximately 24 hours to
populate the mirrors, so that's about the time we have to collect
feedback.

Known bugs so far include:
+ Windows installer is in English only (has been fixed today)
+ Windows unopkg.bin crashes during install (will be fixed ASAP)
+ Windows applications start a console window (fdo#42914 - fixed)
+ Windows version _removes_ 3.3/3.4 installations - this behaviour
   will be switched back for beta1 again - only RCs should do that.

The list of fixed bugs in this release is here:

http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/pre-releases/src/bugfixes-master-release-3.5.0.0.log

(warning, monstrous list - a lot has happened since April)

So playing with the areas touched there also greatly appreciated - and
validation that those bugs are really fixed.

Thanks a lot for your help,

-- Thorsten

Thorsten Behrens wrote (02-12-11 10:25)

Builds are now being uploaded to a public (but non-mirrored - so don't
spread news too widely!) place, as soon as they're available. Grab
them here:

So it's probably better not to twitter right now :slight_smile:

I plan some info today about the testing of the beta1.

Cheers,

Yeah, my mistake - sorry, I was too fast with twittering :confused:

Hi,

Hi *,

for the upcoming new version 3.5.0, we start with a beta0 build that
likely will have a few rough edges, and is not yet feature-complete.
We will feature-freeze next Monday, and then branch off the code -
release plan timings are here:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan#3.5_release

Builds are now being uploaded to a public (but non-mirrored - so don't
spread news too widely!) place, as soon as they're available. Grab
them here:

http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/pre-releases/

If you've a bit of time, please give them a try & report *critical*

Hmmm, with a fresh profile directory, this beta0 does not open a second
file. Tested with writer.
Ubuntu 10.04 x86, Gnome 2.
No problem with daily build from 27 nov.

Known problem or is it only me ?

Best regards.
JBF

Michael Meeks wrote (02-12-11 11:35)

  It is in a bit of a state it seems :slight_smile: anyhow - lots of bugs in our
release process found/fixed before B1 which is good. I wonder how widely
we should be announcing B0 - in the state that is in though.

I agree with that. It's great to have the possibility to do some rough tests right now, so that we can be sure that, when the wide public wants to start testing, they actually are able to start :slight_smile:

But since we are still not at feature-freeze, and there are chunks of
things that need to go in yet that may de-stabilise, I start becoming a bit reluctant in already announcing a big bug-hunting party for the beta1 and thinking about beta2, due December 23 ..

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/3.5#3.5.0_release

Cor Nouws píše v Pá 02. 12. 2011 v 12:06 +0100:

Michael Meeks wrote (02-12-11 11:35)

> It is in a bit of a state it seems :slight_smile: anyhow - lots of bugs in our
> release process found/fixed before B1 which is good. I wonder how widely
> we should be announcing B0 - in the state that is in though.

I agree with that. It's great to have the possibility to do some rough
tests right now, so that we can be sure that, when the wide public wants
to start testing, they actually are able to start :slight_smile:

But since we are still not at feature-freeze, and there are chunks of
things that need to go in yet that may de-stabilise, I start becoming a
bit reluctant in already announcing a big bug-hunting party for the
beta1 and thinking about beta2, due December 23 ..

I would decide about the bug-hunting party when we have, the feature
complete, beta1 in hands and see how it looks like. You could organize
it for the weekend Dec 17-18. I think that Dec 23 is not a good choice
because it is just one day before Christmas :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks a lot for working on it.

Best Regards,
Petr

Michael Meeks schrieb:

  It is in a bit of a state it seems :slight_smile: anyhow - lots of bugs in our
release process found/fixed before B1 which is good. I wonder how widely
we should be announcing B0 - in the state that is in though.

Hello,

I believe all ones involved know about Beta0 from the relevant mailing lists, and I believe that's enough for now.

If we do not see bigger problems we should announce Beta1 to a wider circle of people.

Best regards

Rainer

Hi Petr,

Petr Mladek wrote (02-12-11 16:30)

I would decide about the bug-hunting party when we have, the feature
complete, beta1 in hands and see how it looks like.

Indeed, after the discussion today it's obvious that we must wait until we know that the beta1 is OK for such a larger test.

You could organize it for the weekend Dec 17-18.

Yes, in that case, it is a good choice.
Preparations can be done soon, even some pre-announcements in smaller public, so that all is ready when we decide to start it.

I think that Dec 23 is not a good choice
because it is just one day before Christmas :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: 23 is the date that the beta2 is about to be released. Therefore I mentioned it.
When we choose that it is better to go with beta2 for testing in the larger group, we have to choose some dates between Christmas and December 30. But that's something for later, maybe.

Anyway, thanks a lot for working on it.

You're welcome. All pleasure is on my side :wink: