Most versions of Gnu&Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Redhat, openSuSE) all include a default set of
programs.  Often the same program in each one.  For example most of the examples have Firefox and
LibreOffice by default.

However, you don't have to stick with the defaults.  You can install other programs and if you feel
the need then you can uninstall programs.

By default most versions of Gnu&Linux (lets just call them distros) have a set of "repos"
(=repositories) which are a bit like vast warehouses of programs and other software.  Typically
it's all been tweaked or at least checked to make sure it kinda runs on your distro.  Again you
don't have to stick with the defaults.  You can add other repos.  Ubuntu has all sorts of fancy
names for different types, such as "PPA"s, but almost all distros have extra repos that you can add
to a default install in order to have a wider choice of software packages.

A typical reason might be to deal with copyright issues.  Some countries have very strict laws
trying to prevent people from using certain things while other countries are more about individual
people's 'right' to freedom and liberty.  So in the USA it might be illegal to give people codecs
that would allow them to play Hollywood movies, or even YouTube videos.  In other countries they
might not be so restrictive.  So a lot of distros split a lot of the multimedia stuff into a
separate repo run by a separate projects.  Those projects then attempt to warn users to check the
laws of their own country to make sure they wouldn't be breaking the law by using that repo.  If
those projects did get tied up in courts due to bogus claims it wouldn't affect the main distro.

Luckily for me i live in one of those countries that is quite happy to let people watch quite a lot
but not happy enough to let us watch absolutely everything.  So, for Ubuntu or Mint i add the
"Medibuntu" repos.  For Debian i would add their multimedia repos and similarly for openSuSE and
Redhat.  Then whichever distro i was using i would install VLC and mplayer to make sure i got all
the codecs i'm ever likely to need (although i probably have to promise to make sure i don't use
certain ones or at least hold my hand in front of my face, or something).

The odd one out is Puppy.  It's a whole lot more painful to install anything in Puppy so it's much
better to stick with the defaults for everything.  On the plus side it is much easier to create a
fork that has slightly different defaults.  These are then released through their community in much
the same way LO has pages and pages of Extensions.  Some of those forks have quite huge communities
in their own right.  Instead of calling them "forks" they call them "Puplets" just to be cute
(anyone got a bucket hand?).  I'm fairly certain there is at least 1 puplet that has LibreOffice by
default but probably by now there are tons of them.