Sorry!  I couldn't find the section in the guides but you might find this helpful
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Writer_Guide
on a side issue you might find Chapter 12 interesting "Creating Tables of Contents, Indexes, and
Bibliographies".  There is a plug-in/add-on/Extension that might help with that, i think "Zotero"?
http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation

How rigid is the template?

Can you create a fresh new Odt document in LibreOffice and follow the guidelines of the template
without having to copy&paste anything from their template into your new document?  If there are
bits you need to copy can you use paste-special to paste as unformatted text?
Ctrl  Shift  v
rather than just
Ctrl  v

A fresh start means you neatly avoid getting stuck with lots of legacy formatting codes that might
spring surprises on you randomly in the future.  It gives you more control over what you do.

If it is rigid and you can't just start afresh then it might be worth asking the University if they
could give you an OpenDocument Format (ODF, specifically Odt) version rather than the proprietary
one.  If not then perhaps be insolent and ask them to buy and give you the product, that is made by
a foreign company, in order to be able to use their template.  Perhaps push further and ask them to
supply it in a non-American 'local' language.

Errr, i am guessing you are outside of the USA because most of the world is.  Also i assumed that
your native language is not English (US) because, again, most of the world speaks other languages
as their 1st language, even inside the US.

Also note that ODF is an ISO standard.  ISO meaning it is agreed by an international agency made
from people of many different nationalities.  While DocX also has a version that is an ISO standard
that is not the one implemented in any version of MS Office so far because they all tweak it some
different way that is non-compliant with the standards.

Point out that you already have the necessary tools for the job but the only reason you would have
to buy product from a foreign company is to complete this 1 task, the thesis.  The tools you
already have do everything else better.