       Well, I guess I'm an a-typical reader - although quite voracious -
since I do notice the grammar, the punctuation, et.al.  ;-)

From: Virgil Arrington <cuyfalls@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] spacing after punctuation
To: users@global.libreoffice.org

Anne,

Don't misunderstand me. I much prefer a single space after sentence ending
punctuation for reasons I have written many times before. I was just
surprised that Jury advocated going further and using an even narrower
space. I consider that a little over the top, even for an obsessive
typophile like me. I doubt that any such narrowing would even be noticeable
by the typical reader. And the optical illusion of a wider space that Jury
notes is caused by the inherent space included with periods and commas
should satisfy the two space folks.

Virgil

On 09/05/2013 05:05 PM, anne-ology wrote:

         I'm so glad to see another remembering how things were - and
another
reason I prefer [OO then] LO  over MsFt  ;-)
             when I add those 2 spaces, I want them to remain.

        With the age of these machines many rules of grammar seemed to fall
away; only to bring about less comprehensive communication  ;-(

        And now with all this thumb-typing and even more use of acronyms,
et.al. proper communication skills will be declining further ...
            can we resurrect the ol' grammarians and Latin-Greek scholars
teach the kids these basics before they lose all social skills.

From: Virgil Arrington <cuyfalls@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM
To: "T. R. Valentine" <trvalentine@gmail.com>, LibreOffice-list <
users@global.libreoffice.org>

Am I reading this right? Is Jury suggesting that space after periods
actually be *less* than a standard word space? If so, that is diametrically
opposed to the typewriter standard of adding two spaces after sentence
ending punctuation.

Virgil