On 6/9/13 11:55 AM, Felmon Davis wrote:
On Sun, 9 Jun 2013, Ken Springer wrote:

>On 6/9/13 10:54 AM, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
>>>
>>>To me, this is muddying the waters of what an image editing program is.
>>>
>>>Image editing means manipulating a bitmap at the pixel level. Those
>>>would be Gimp, Photoshop, etc.
>>>
>>>Inkscape is a vector drawing program, such as Corel Draw and any CAD
>>>program.
>>>
>>>Totally different animals, and to compare them in one test is, to me,
>>>wrong if not bogus.
>>>

>>Well, you need both pixel and vector based graphics packages.  Yes they
>>are like comparing apples and oranges, but both are needed in your list
>>of graphic editing packages, along with some people needing CAD and
>>Visio/Dia diagramming packages.  I also would include a good photo
>>stitching package.  I use ICE on Windows [free from Microsoft], but I
>>have not looked into one for Ubuntu.
>
>Agreed on all points.  Although I'd say a good bitmap editor would do
>the stitching just fine if you choose to take time to do it.  I used to
>do that with scans from a hand scanner in my Atari computing days.
>
>But, to compare them?  That would be like calling a Kenworth and a
>Ferrari racing cars.    LOL
can you clarify this for me - suppose I have a set of purposes, e.g.
altering color, inserting text, cropping, what have you; is it
unreasonable to compare 'different animals' in respect of ease of use
and quality of results in relation to specific ends like this?

(btw I compare apples to oranges all the time and indeed I prefer one
to the other. I don't call them both 'citrus fruit' though, I do call
them 'fruit' or food (actually, breakfast).)

why can't we compare "different animals" according to specific ends?

It depends on the specific ends. Then decide on the type of tool you wish to use. Once the type of tool is selected, then compare the different versions of that type tool.

Let's say you want to disassemble an engine. How about a '57 Chevy? What kind of tool do you want to use?

The first is to select the correct tools. Metric? Whitworth? SAE? The first two are obviously are not the right solution. They won't work worth a hoot. You can force them, but it would be a PITA to use.

Which type of SAE tool? Wrench? Ratchet and sockets? Air tools and sockets? You decide on air tools and sockets. Now is when you compare the tools. Who makes the best air tool, for you, to do the job. Snap-on? Cleveland Pneumatic? Mac? MacTool? Cornwell?

Now you have a valid basis on which to compare tools, as the all do the same basic job in the same manner. Compressed air to turn the sockets to remove nuts and bolts.

That does not mean the air tool is always the best solution. Sometimes the wrench is the best solution. And of all the variations of wrenches available, it might be a more specific wrench, an angle head wrench for example, is the best choice.

If you're specific end is to manipulate individual pixels in a bitmapped graphic, you use an image editor. You don't use a vector drawing program for that. Years ago, I used a couple of programs that claimed to do both, and in the end they did neither very well.

This is where you need to know what kind of specific tools are out there. In the case of computers, what types of software is available, and a general idea of their capabilities.

In your scenario, your first decision is what kind of graphic image is it? Bitmapped or vector? (In they auto example, what's the measurement system used? Metric, Whitworth, or SAE.) If bitmapped, you're changing individual pixels. If vector, you're changing areas. They are different situations, requiring different tools.

A bitmapped image is a painting. A vector graphic is your car. Would you use a spray can to touch up your painting? A paint brush to paint your car? Although, I knew a guy that did that!

Here's an example:

I've a friend who wanted to take a picture, place numbers over it and create a clock face. The only software she knew about was Photoshop Essentials. And I don't know how much time she'd spent on the project with no success. But she was frustrated.

After getting details from her, I did the job for her in 15 minutes in Inkscape, learning how to do it at the same time.

She had never bothered to learn what other computer tools were out there, and what they were capable of.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.4
Firefox 20.0