I think the indications are meant to suggest that the user removes OOo.  They do
usually work fine together but if weird problems and crashes start happening
then removing one or other usually solves the problems.

Since both LO and OOo are free and fairly easy to install (and un-install) this
problem is a lot less of a hassle than it might otherwise be.  The trick is to
keep the config-folder.  Possibly back-up before uninstalling = otherwise you
might just get default settings back if you are too rigorous about uninstalling.