Ahhh, maybe solved by radically upping the figures in

Tools - Options - Memory?

It does happen with me too.  Usually when i have hefty photos or am doing something i would expect
to use up a lot of memory.  Sometimes it surprises me at the time but hindsight is wonderful.

From: Virgil Arrington <cuyfalls@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Subject: [libreoffice-users] LO Freezing
To: users@global.libreoffice.org

I’m just writing to see if anyone else has experienced my particular
problem.

I use LO 3.6.6.2 on an Win7 Sony laptop. When running LO, I will often
experience either long delays in executing functions or outright freezing
of the program. When this happens, I’ll get the never ending circle cursor
along with the message, “not responding.” It sometimes happens when saving
a file. When this happens, it will usually clear up after 30 seconds or so.

Today, I was cleaning out some paragraph styles from my default template,
and every so often, as I tried to delete a style, it would freeze up, again
for about 30 seconds or so before continuing on. Finally, on one attempt to
delete a style, it froze up completely and wouldn’t come back.

This is the only program where I regularly face this problem. I have
changed my user profile name, as well as completely restoring my hard drive
to its original state, and reinstalling all my software (about two months
ago). At first, this seemed to clear things up a bit, but today, I received
several “not responding” freezes, again while attempting to delete
paragraph styles I didn’t want.

I obviously don’t expect anyone to be able to diagnose my specific problem
with such sketchy information, but I was just wondering if anyone else
experiences similar freezes.

Virgil