On Fri, 12 Apr 2013, anne-ology wrote:

      Thanks for this summation -

I wonder what the original question was? I seem to have missed a part of the exchange.

          as for now, it's 'clear as mud'  ;-)

      Felmon - I'm studying the page you sent me.

I hope it can be of help; I've only ever used the Linux version but I imagine they aren't too different.

F.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

Hi :)
Programs with tk (or more usually gtk) at the end or at the beginning are
for a one type of DE for Gnu&Linux.  Sometimes a G is used instead.  The
other main type of DE usually has K or Qt at the front of it's programs.

Often programs have a "back-end" or "command-line" tool that does most of
the heavy lifting and then different "front-ends" or "Gui"s are put on for
each of the 2 main types.

Typically we talk about families of distros but even a single distro might
have 2 or 3 versions with each one having a different type of DE.  If you
choose the 'wrong one' then you can choose whether to install the other DE
or get a different version of the distro that does have the 'right one'.
Tim at Kracked Press has somethings he likes in each of the main DEs so he
installs both.  It makes his system a bit more bloated but means he can use
choose more apps.

DE = Desktop Environment.  The main 2 are Gnome and KDE.  Most of the rest
(Xfce, Unity, Enlightenment and probably hundreds more) tend to be able to
use front-ends written for one or the other.

Ok, so it's not quite that simple.  2 extra wrinkles;
1.  Gtk or tk are pretty rarely used but are for the Xfce DE (well really
a WM (=window manager (note the lower-case w)) but that is nearly a DE) and
Xfce apps work well in Gnome.  Gnome is a bit heftier (a bit more "fully
functionally" if you know what i mean) so it's fairly normal to find a G
(stands for Gnome) instead of the rarer Gtk but then that's a pain because
the app might need a 3rd front-end instead of just having 2 to reach
everyone.
2.  Going back to seeing the K at the beginning of apps written for KDE
makes sense but why the Qt?  Well, until recently Qt was less streamlined
and was a lot of the weight in KDE.  Now it is a lot faster and lighter it
seems that Gnome or distros using Gnome have pulled it in but just not
quite enough of it for Tim's requirements.
3.  Since Gnome often can run apps built for the 3 main DEs shouldn't that
make it the DE of choice!?  Oddly not.  It's been forked in at least 2 or 3
different directions and in Ubuntu it's been replaced by Unity (which can
also run a lot of the Gnome, Xfce or KDE apps but is extremely unpopular
amongst purists)

I hope that helps!!  I hope i got it about right too otherwise i'm going
to get deluged with unwanted flaming or something!  Something i like about
Gnu&Linux is the passion and that we go all sorts of different ways but
somehow manage to grow and learn from each other or make use of each others
achievements and even build on them (if individuals are gifted enough)

  ------------------------------
From: Jay Lozier <jslozier@gmail.com>
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 17:18:42 -0400

On 04/05/2013 04:18 PM, David Ronis wrote:

I'm currently working on a large project that requires me to import
many
documents from my colleagues, some in word or PDF formats, into a
single
file.  Libreoffice doesn't work if I try Insert->File... on a PDF file
(I get an error popup saying Error rereading the file).

I can open the PDF file (in draw) and cut and paste each PDF page into
the document, but that is painful.

Is there a way to make File->Insert work, perhaps via a macro?  If not,
consider this a feature request.

David

 What OS are you using?

In some pdf readers you can export the entire file as a plain text file
and this file can be opened in Writer or imported into Calc. I do not
know if this would less or more painful. You would have the entire file
at once but would need to format the text.

--
Felmon Davis

--
Felmon Davis

Your mode of life will be changed for the better because of new developments.