Yes, sadly i do realise that Pdf is a fairly ethically bad format BUT i do have to live in the real
world too.  Pdf is difficult to avoid and there doesn't seem to be much alternative yet.  One of
the key requirements of the op was that no special program would have to be installed.  Pdf readers
are likely to already be installed on most peoples systems.  The docs team have offered one of the
guides as e-pub but pdf remains dominant.

I would recommend moving away from Adobe Reader because there are a lot of alternatives and i think
they are almost all better.  Adobe seems to have frequent 'security' updates but many would claim
that it needs them because it is so widely used that it is a target.  The theory is that if other
programs were so widespread then they would have similar level of trouble.  It's a poor argument
but appears popular with people that refuse to try alternatives.

Pdf is free (small f) just not Free in a Libre sense.

From: JenS8 <jennys8.amabel@dfgh.net>
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Wednesday, 20 June, 2012, 2:10

Hello,

We want to create a questionaire that people can fill out on their
computer and email back to us when complete.

How can we create a document with the following properties:

1. When person clicks on a blank, they can type in their answer, and
the "underline characters" [ _______ ] don't move to the right
2. We want some parts of the form to be uneditable. For example, the
headers, the instructions, the text that says what we expect in every
blank.
3.The document can be saved when completed, or even when partially
completed 4. Check-boxes can be clicked on
5.Radio buttons (multiple choice) can be clicked on
6.The document is universal:
   a. People using Windows, Mac, Linux, Playbook, tablets can work on the
form
   b. People don't have to download a special program to fill the form

Thank you very much.

deleted