Ok, i had misunderstood due to some prejudices of my own.

It is good to hear of a University that provides non-MS formats!  In my country it is hard-work
trying to get them to accept anything else.   TeX is good.  TeX might do the outline numbering you
want by default.  If you can use TeX it might be better than Writer.  it might let you copy&paste
everything into TeX fairly easily?  If you are not already familiar with TeX (most people aren't
and i'm one of them) then Writer should be able to do it.  I don't know how but others on the list
might be able to help.

Since you are already using Zotero and Writer it sounds like you are already using the best tools
and already know plenty about them.  The link to Chapter 12 assumed you were just about to start
writing rather than being well into the middle of it already.

I am not sure how to do
"
Even if I want to make a .odt specific version, I must be able to make "Figure" and "Table"
numberings with Chapter numbers in themselves. How
could I do that?
"
but hopefully someone else might be able to give you a good answer later.

The problem with going backwards and forwards between different formats is that sometimes you get
extra codes/mark-up hidden inside the document.  Usually the best way is to keep "an original" in
Odt and just edit that.  Obviously old versions and backups of it are a good plan!  Then make a
copy of the document in Doc only when you need to show it to others.  Any changes made in Doc are
probably better copy&pasted back into the original Odt.  it's not very convenient though!
Hopefully everyone will be happy editing in Odt one day!

I don't think that is the reason you are having troubles with numbering though and like you say it
might well not have affected your document at all.

There are many countries where most people prefer to use pirated software rather than pay for it.
It's good to see some places beginning to use OpenSource more to get out of that trap.  In my
country i remember people being quite happy to use pirated software but now being keen to buy that
software instead.  It might be just because i  am now working in a more corporate environment.