Sometime during install it should ask if you want the new version to be the default app for MS
formats.  Unfortunately i don't think it asks about ODF formats.

There is a page in the wiki about "Installing on Linux" that might help to remove all versions and
then reinstall the newer ones from the downloads you kept.  (You did keep the didn't you?).  I
guess you can always re-download if you have to, or encourage a buddy too and then copy there's "to
check them".

On Debian-family, incls Ubuntu you can remove all versions of LibreOffice with a command something
like

sudo apt-get remove libreoffice*

but please try

apt-get --help

(with a space just before the --) to check that is not the one tht removes all your configurations
too.  There is one apt-get 'tag' to remove all setting, configs and everything, and a different
'tag' to just remove the programs but keep the configs.  The later is usually preferable to avoid
having to set everything up the way you like again from scratch.