Work on the international 'box'

Hi drew, *,

many thanks for bringing this up :o)).

drew schrieb:

It was my understanding (although I can't say how I arrived at it, so
possibly just wrong) that the plan was to work on an international
disc.

Yes.

I took it to mean, that there would be a single iso image that had
multiple language GUI, a common set of extensions, and Language
specific templates again.

I'm not shure which road to go.
As it's difficult to satisfy all needs - think of non latin written
languages that also have a large coverage - I'd rather think of a plain
english one, satisfying mainly well suited computer people.
Beeing kind of basic template providing an easy start for full hearted
language/region/whateverpreference team editions.

But that's only what I think of..

Specifically I'm trying to see how to best leverage the work that the
NA DVD team has done, and some additional items perhaps, to help with
that.

fine :o)).

I noted that you called for help with the English translation of the
German disc and I take it that was for this international version.

Apparently You're omnipresent :o)). Yes I did so on the german
discussion list also asking for someone organizing it here on this list.
Cool, it's You which heared the call! ;o))

After downloading the latest LibreOfficeBox iso, a few days ago, and
comparing it in detail with what we have in English already it appears
that there is indeed much that can be put forward.

What is the best way to help you with this particular project?

Well Not shure what's the most effective way to achieve this.
german box, which already got several features during five years of
development. But finally this decision will be made by people doing the
job.

I'll try to be short in listing the features not seen at first glance:

- display window:
starting the former PrOOo-Box we had long and heavy discussions what
should be the purpose of the CD's content. Result was a hybrid of easy
installation medium and a display window allowing people to have a look
at community's work - even if offline - much more an option in those
days than nowadays.

- easy installing:
Particularly installing windows apps from a html UI using the system
browser is a pain. Thus we decided the kmeleon browser to be delivered
with the medium. It starts via autorun and provides a one click
installation for LibO as well as for all other windows applications on
the medium. This can be choosen either by clicking the item in the html
UI or by selecting from a menu containing all available win apps on the
medium.

The medium as well acts as installation source for deb based linux
systems. It contains a repo with meta packages for easy
(de-)installation choosing *one* package instead of fiddling with
several packages particularly while deinstalling.

- office equipment:
To equip a complete office machine we also provide recent
browsersoftware, and some other tools for desktop publishing and the
like - all open source to show the power of free software world.

- development:
The source code and related tools are delivered to have a snapshot of
the state of development at the time of release. This allows interested
computer people to examine the code and as well a company to have full
control over the software used in it's environment.

I've put these lines in a wiki page where it's accessible for later use
if needed:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice-Box/Features

Hope this helps.

Gruß/regards

Howdy Friedrich, et al

Hi drew, *,

many thanks for bringing this up :o)).

Your welcome.

<snip>

> I took it to mean, that there would be a single iso image that had
> multiple language GUI, a common set of extensions, and Language
> specific templates again.

I'm not shure which road to go.
As it's difficult to satisfy all needs

*chuckling*...you think?

- think of non latin written
languages that also have a large coverage - I'd rather think of a plain
english one, satisfying mainly well suited computer people.
Beeing kind of basic template providing an easy start for full hearted
language/region/whateverpreference team editions.

But that's only what I think of..

Well, just going on what I'm seeing on the disc, it sure looked like the
idea was to put together a disc that covered:
de, en, es, fr, it

I think that makes sense, if for no other reason then it looks like a
reasonable list to do in rather short order.

Adding pt-br, given the activity level, would make sense IMO, but the
branding of the application I suppose causes an issue here.

Looking outwards from there - a CJK disc for instance would seem to make
sense, Hebrew/Arabic/Farsi, hell I'd help with that one any way I could
- but I think that is digressing for this particular email.

<snip>

> I noted that you called for help with the English translation of the
> German disc and I take it that was for this international version.

Apparently You're omnipresent :o)).

Not sure I see the humor..but ok.

Yes I did so on the german
discussion list also asking for someone organizing it here on this list.

Oh, my poor translating then, sounded like you where also asking for
people to help perform the translation to English.

Cool, it's You which heared the call! ;o))

> After downloading the latest LibreOfficeBox iso, a few days ago, and
> comparing it in detail with what we have in English already it appears
> that there is indeed much that can be put forward.

> What is the best way to help you with this particular project?

Well Not shure what's the most effective way to achieve this.
From my point of view one starting point could be to translate the
german box,

I would agree and what I was thinking of - any how, the NA DVD is my
priority but as Jeff C. is fond of saying "We can walk and chew gum at
the same time" and given there is an empty en_us directory sitting
there, well 'we' should be able to do something to help.

Thanks

Drew

Which is exactly what you said there - LOL - seems my en to en
translation is suspect also..

Best wishes

Drew

Hi,

Howdy Friedrich, et al

<snip>

Adding pt-br, given the activity level, would make sense IMO, but the
branding of the application I suppose causes an issue here.

What do you mean? Because of "BrOffice"? I don't think so... We are trying
to leave that branding and assume LibreOffice these days. In fact, we've
decided it 2 days ago.

By the way, our media is almost done. Just few more details remaining... But
I really didn't understand (yet) how it could fit to the European or North
American contexts. In my point of view, a PT/PT-BR/ES media makes more
sense. But, despite my personal opinion, we're in the international media
project for sure.

One thing that's concerning me is the deadline. is there any? We are actualy
translating "Getting Started with LibreOffice" to PT-BR in order to include
it into the media. But, if there's a deadline for this project, maybe we can
do that or not. And, if we can't, some parts of that document will be in EN,
and others in PT-BR, or all of it will be in EN (that's not the best choice,
but...) We'd really love if we could include documentation in pt-br.

<snip>

Hi,

> Howdy Friedrich, et al

<snip>

> Adding pt-br, given the activity level, would make sense IMO, but the
> branding of the application I suppose causes an issue here.

Hi Paulo,

What do you mean? Because of "BrOffice"? I don't think so... We are trying
to leave that branding and assume LibreOffice these days. In fact, we've
decided it 2 days ago.

Nope didn't know - cool.

By the way, our media is almost done.

Excellent

Just few more details remaining... But
I really didn't understand (yet) how it could fit to the European or North
American contexts.

I don't know, it was just my personal and initial thoughts on the
subject, nothing more.

< snip >

Best wishes,

Drew

Hi,

> Howdy Friedrich, et al

<snip>

> Adding pt-br, given the activity level, would make sense IMO, but the
> branding of the application I suppose causes an issue here.

What do you mean? Because of "BrOffice"? I don't think so... We are trying
to leave that branding and assume LibreOffice these days. In fact, we've
decided it 2 days ago.

By the way, our media is almost done. Just few more details remaining...
But
I really didn't understand (yet) how it could fit to the European or North
American contexts. In my point of view, a PT/PT-BR/ES media makes more
sense. But, despite my personal opinion, we're in the international media
project for sure.

One thing that's concerning me is the deadline. is there any?

I sure hope not.

We are actualy
translating "Getting Started with LibreOffice" to PT-BR in order to include
it into the media. But, if there's a deadline for this project, maybe we
can
do that or not. And, if we can't, some parts of that document will be in
EN,
and others in PT-BR, or all of it will be in EN (that's not the best
choice,
but...) We'd really love if we could include documentation in pt-br.

Another data point: the North American DVD will be transferred in the near
future to north-america.libreofficebox.org

The naming idea is that instead of using locale encoding (pt_BR, en_US,
fr_CA) as the site name, we adopt the community name. It seems this scheme
can accommodate any community disk that wants to build on the SilverStripe
service. The North America disk will have at least three languages (en, es,
fr) You have the same issue, right? Additionally, we can contribute
"upstream" to the international box as well.

Cheers,
jec

Hi Paolo,

By the way, our media is almost done. Just few more details remaining... But
I really didn't understand (yet) how it could fit to the European or North
American contexts. In my point of view, a PT/PT-BR/ES media makes more
sense. But, despite my personal opinion, we're in the international media
project for sure.

I saw your registration, in case you want to use a subsite(s) please
tell me the desired name for.
We decided yesterday to handle subsites for projects like
<$project>.libreofficebox.org for a website (optional) and
dvd.<$project>.libreofficebox.org for the media.

Cheers
Erich

Hi Paulo, *,

Paulo de Souza Lima schrieb:

<snip>

Adding pt-br, given the activity level, would make sense IMO, but the
branding of the application I suppose causes an issue here.

What do you mean? Because of "BrOffice"? I don't think so... We are
trying to leave that branding and assume LibreOffice these days. In
fact, we've decided it 2 days ago.

One more "cool!" from my side :o))

By the way, our media is almost done. Just few more details
remaining... But I really didn't understand (yet) how it could fit to
the European or North American contexts. In my point of view, a
PT/PT-BR/ES media makes more sense. But, despite my personal opinion,
we're in the international media project for sure.

another: "cool!" :o))

One thing that's concerning me is the deadline. is there any?

We are at the very beginning of this (international) project[1] -
sometimes dead but no line :o)))
So entering the boat now, means beeing member of the steering crew.

[1] but we aren't in providing ISO files for LibO/OOo, which we do for
about 5 years now for german language area - bringing in all experience
collected meanwhile.

We are actualy translating "Getting Started with LibreOffice" to PT-BR
in order to include it into the media. But, if there's a deadline for
this project, maybe we can do that or not. And, if we can't, some
parts of that document will be in EN, and others in PT-BR, or all of
it will be in EN (that's not the best choice, but...) We'd really love
if we could include documentation in pt-br.

As said: no deadline - rather concerns about surviving first days after
birth :o)).

Gruß/regards

Hi drew, *,

drew schrieb:

<snip>

I took it to mean, that there would be a single iso image that had
multiple language GUI, a common set of extensions, and Language
specific templates again.

I'm not shure which road to go.
As it's difficult to satisfy all needs

*chuckling*...you think?

:o)))

[..]

Well, just going on what I'm seeing on the disc, it sure looked like
the idea was to put together a disc that covered:
de, en, es, fr, it

I think that makes sense, if for no other reason then it looks like a
reasonable list to do in rather short order.

If we suceed having a team composed of all languages willing to start
*and finish* work, I'm with You. But I'd rather like to see a small
solution finished in reasonable time than a big plan finished by
the grandchildren. :o))

Adding pt-br, given the activity level, would make sense IMO, but the
branding of the application I suppose causes an issue here.

Paolo just stepped in.

Looking outwards from there - a CJK disc for instance would seem to
make sense, Hebrew/Arabic/Farsi, hell I'd help with that one any way
I could - but I think that is digressing for this particular email.

For all those projects to start, I see an english language template
essential. One to copy first and develop afterwords following the needs.

<snip>

I noted that you called for help with the English translation of
the German disc and I take it that was for this international
version.

Apparently You're omnipresent :o)).

Not sure I see the humor..but ok.

Not even thinking of any offence from my side - if matched so by
expression I wasn't aware - so: I thought of something awesome (hope
this doesn't mach anything more not intended).

[..]

What is the best way to help you with this particular project?

Well Not shure what's the most effective way to achieve this.
From my point of view one starting point could be to translate the
german box,

I would agree and what I was thinking of - any how, the NA DVD is my
priority but as Jeff C. is fond of saying "We can walk and chew gum at
the same time" and given there is an empty en_us directory sitting
there, well 'we' should be able to do something to help.

As far as I got it, You already have done almost of translation work. So
I happily look forward this beeing integrated.

Not shure what's a good place for it.
simply dvd.libreofficebox.org ??

Gruß/regards

Hi Paolo, Daniel, *

Paulo de Souza Lima schrieb:

<snip>

By the way, our media is almost done. Just few more details
remaining... But I really didn't understand (yet) how it could fit to
the European or North American contexts. In my point of view, a
PT/PT-BR/ES media makes more sense.

As we will have to do some DNS rework anyways it would maybe make sense
to think now of a South/Central America project and to cope in this matter?

Could you please make your mind up in this concern - things are very
easily changed before some work is done... and then the database has to
get resorted and so on.

What do you think?

Cheers
Erich

Hi Paolo, Daniel, *

Paulo de Souza Lima schrieb:

<snip>

By the way, our media is almost done. Just few more details
remaining... But I really didn't understand (yet) how it could fit to
the European or North American contexts. In my point of view, a
PT/PT-BR/ES media makes more sense.

As we will have to do some DNS rework anyways it would maybe make sense
to think now of a South/Central America project and to cope in this matter?

Could you please make your mind up in this concern - things are very
easily changed before some work is done... and then the database has to
get resorted and so on.

What do you think?

In my opinion spanish has to be thought as a whole, that's why I
propose 'Hispano/Hispanic' to identify all countries where spanish is
spoken.

Escuelas Libres :: Porque la educación es mucho mejor cuando es libre
http://www.escuelaslibres.org.ar/
---
Para entrenar, cualquier programa sirve. Para educar, sólo Software
Libre. (Federico Heinz)
---

Is Spanish as spoken in Mexico is distinct from Spanish as spoken in
Spain? or Guatemala?

Cheers,
jec

Paulo de Souza Lima schrieb:

<snip>

By the way, our media is almost done. Just few more details
remaining... But I really didn't understand (yet) how it could fit to
the European or North American contexts. In my point of view, a
PT/PT-BR/ES media makes more sense.

As we will have to do some DNS rework anyways it would maybe make sense
to think now of a South/Central America project and to cope in this matter?

Could you please make your mind up in this concern - things are very
easily changed before some work is done... and then the database has to
get resorted and so on.

What do you think?

In my opinion spanish has to be thought as a whole, that's why I
propose 'Hispano/Hispanic' to identify all countries where spanish is
spoken.

Is Spanish as spoken in Mexico is distinct from Spanish as spoken in
Spain? or Guatemala?

any language spoken in different countries has regionalism, but the
language is the same

Escuelas Libres :: Porque la educación es mucho mejor cuando es libre
http://www.escuelaslibres.org.ar/
---
Para entrenar, cualquier programa sirve. Para educar, sólo Software
Libre. (Federico Heinz)
---

Hi Paolo, Daniel, *

Hi guys.

> Paulo de Souza Lima schrieb:
>> <snip>

>> By the way, our media is almost done. Just few more details
>> remaining... But I really didn't understand (yet) how it could fit to
>> the European or North American contexts. In my point of view, a
>> PT/PT-BR/ES media makes more sense.

As we will have to do some DNS rework anyways it would maybe make sense
to think now of a South/Central America project and to cope in this matter?

I do think so. But we need to ask to Spanish America communities if they
agree with that.

Could you please make your mind up in this concern - things are very

easily changed before some work is done... and then the database has to
get resorted and so on.

What do you think?

My intention is to make a pt-br fully operational DVD, for now. Once this is
done, maybe we could include pt (I think there's not deeper differences
between pt and pt-br), in order to make that media available for any
portuguese speaking country/group.

Including es, may be a little more complicated, because we're gonna need
some help from Spanish speaking community(ies), in order to translate some
texts to es language. Arts for labels, envelopes and boxes should be
translated as well. But, I am not disregarding that idea.

It would be nice to have the "Getting Started with LibreOffice" book
translated to Spanish either.

Cheers
Erich

Cheers

My intention is to make a pt-br fully operational DVD, for now. Once this is
done, maybe we could include pt (I think there's not deeper differences
between pt and pt-br), in order to make that media available for any
portuguese speaking country/group.

Including es, may be a little more complicated, because we're gonna need
some help from Spanish speaking community(ies), in order to translate some
texts to es language. Arts for labels, envelopes and boxes should be
translated as well. But, I am not disregarding that idea.

artwork could be translated, that's no problem

It would be nice to have the "Getting Started with LibreOffice" book
translated to Spanish either.

that's a little more difficult

Escuelas Libres :: Porque la educación es mucho mejor cuando es libre
http://www.escuelaslibres.org.ar/
---
Para entrenar, cualquier programa sirve. Para educar, sólo Software
Libre. (Federico Heinz)
---

That is why there are so many Spanish Dictionaries, it seems.

[I have been bad sick for a bit so I have a lot of emails to catch up on, 300-400. Still not "all there" though]

I use [north to south] Canadian, USA, Mexican, and Latin American Communities as my description to the areas/languages we serve. Was given a link early on to a wiki map showing the countries that are part of "Latin America". I figure that map. if I found it again, would cover most of the Spanish speaking countries in Central and South America.

I was originally thinking of a "generic" Spanish language version that would be for Mexico, but then it was expanded on by the group stating that a "generic" Spanish language version could serve Spanish speaking countries other than Mexico.

Hi drew, *,

many thanks for bringing this up :o)).

drew schrieb:

<snip>

What is the best way to help you with this particular project?

Well Not shure what's the most effective way to achieve this.
From my point of view one starting point could be to translate the
[...]

MS, as I recall, did a security cut on what that auto run option will currently allow. Last time I heard, the Movie and Audio media were the only one left in the auto run security update. I know that I can not get CDs to auto run and load up the splash screen of ones that I know worked last year or so. So I may be right about that.

For Browser based installs, I know that many have removed the "download/run" option and just use the "download/save" one. Security issues again. The more secure your Windows computer is, the better.

So making an easy to install CD/DVD is not easy if you think about those who no longer have auto-run or download-run options available to them.

Hi Webmaster for Lungstrom.com, *,

Webmaster for Lungstrom.com schrieb:

[..]

- easy installing:
Particularly installing windows apps from a html UI using the system
browser is a pain. Thus we decided the kmeleon browser to be
delivered with the medium. It starts via autorun and provides a one
click installation for LibO as well as for all other windows
applications on the medium. This can be choosen either by clicking
the item in the html UI or by selecting from a menu containing all
available win apps on the medium.

MS, as I recall, did a security cut on what that auto run option will
currently allow. Last time I heard, the Movie and Audio media were
the only one left in the auto run security update. I know that I can
not get CDs to auto run and load up the splash screen of ones that I
know worked last year or so. So I may be right about that.

No known complaints regarding this.

For Browser based installs, I know that many have removed the
"download/run" option and just use the "download/save" one. Security
issues again. The more secure your Windows computer is, the better.

Kmeleon browser isn't installed on the computer, but running from the
medium for the sake of showing contents and installing software. The
latter is achieved by a mechanism developed for that task.

So making an easy to install CD/DVD is not easy if you think about
those who no longer have auto-run or download-run options available
to them.

As said: We didn't recieve complaints about hassles.

[..]

Gruß/regards

[...]

great.
MS messes with so much that it could have made this a problem.
Since it killed some of my older software's CD autorun ability when they are inserted, I knew that MS did reduce is autorun abilities a few months ago.

For Browser based installs, I know that many have removed the
"download/run" option and just use the "download/save" one. Security
issues again. The more secure your Windows computer is, the better.

Kmeleon browser isn't installed on the computer, but running from the
medium for the sake of showing contents and installing software. The
latter is achieved by a mechanism developed for that task.

Never heard of "Kmeleon" so did not know about what it could do.

<snip>

Hi,

Just wanted to get this discussion going again, here:

I noted K-J's email, so I'm really just following his lead here:
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Box-Konzept-internationale-Box-td2917878.html

Second - I added an agenda item for tomorrow's Marketing Call

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/ConfCalls#Agenda
- LibreOffice-box project(s) / Status / International box
(if time permits, will give a quick update on the NA-DVD and solicit
input on what an Internationl Box might be)

Third - well, what's third? :slight_smile:

Thanks

Drew