A little "over the top" as we say in the USA.  A bit too political.  The message really is that the
defacto platform out there is just plain poor software design, proprietary and not open.  Just
because "everybody" uses it, doesn't make it good.  It makes the salesman good.
I like the focus on "stable", "good design"

Ben Levitan

On 2021-04-06 5:46 a.m., Mike Saunders wrote:
Hello,

Someone sent me this link:

https://freedomhouse.org/reports/publication-archives

It's an analysis of countries in the world and their levels of freedom,
based on political rights, civil liberties and other factors.

Check out the "Comparative and Historical Data" -- it's all provided in
Excel format. Maybe we can ask them to provide it in a more
freedom-friendly format like OpenDocument (.ods) too?

For this, and other cases where we want to highlight the importance of
ODF and open standards, we should have some short text, providing a
quick summary of why it's best to avoid vendor-specific formats.

So there's a small marketing task, if anyone wants to take it on --
draft some text summarising the importance of ODF, and why its important
for our individual freedoms and liberties! We could reuse some existing
text, eg from:

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/what-is-opendocument/

(But just post any drafts here on the list please, so that we can
discuss ideas, and then I can chat with the producers of that data and
encourage them to also offer ODF.)