There is an add-on for older versions of MS Office that do now allow it to open the newer ooxml
formats such as DocX.  Somewhere in microsoft.com but i'm not sure where.  The problem is that it's
a bit variable depending on which version of MSO created the document.

With Open Source, one option that a few large organisations go for is to use some of the saving on
license fees to establish their own devs.  Those are then directed to work on the bugs the
organisation or government wants fixed.

So, for a 30 million Euro saving then maybe put 3 million of that into employing some devs to get
some control.  Various organisations already do this.  Another option might be to pay TDF to employ
people but then that becomes less easy for the external organisation/government to control.  So far
TDF only directly employs 1 person and that is not for coding work.

So each organisation develops LibreOffice as though it was an in-house project but shares the
infrastructure and the process with other organisations and volunteers.  Redhat, SUSE and others
directly employ their own devs to work on LibreOffice using the systems set up here.  So Redhat
benefit from work that SUSE does (and that volunteers do), likewise SUSE benefits from Redhat's
work.
Regard from
Tom :)