I'm not sure but no-one else seems to have gotten to this question yet.

The new Impress Guides got uploaded to the wiki a couple of weeks ago.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Impress_Guide

Working through Chapter 2 page 14 (of the Pdf of the 3.5.x Impress Guide)
1) Choose View > Master > Slide Master from the main menu.
2) On the Drawing toolbar (Figure 12), select the Text icon or press F2.
3) Click once and drag in the master page to draw a text object, and then type or paste your
text into the object or add fields as described below.

To add a field, such as the date or page number (slide number), to a text object in the header or
footer, select Insert > Fields. and select the required field from the submenu. If you want to edit
a field in your slide, see Chapter 3, Adding and Formatting Text for more information.

I'm not used to working with Impress and it's not what i would have guessed at but does that help
at all?  The bit that i think would have thrown me is using the Drawing toolbar to add text.