Thanks, Tom. It does seem like there's more than one style applied, but I don't know how to check that. Is there a way to display hidden characters (would that show styles?) or other way I could see what's going on? The napalm approach would be to remove all styles for the document and then re-apply them. Maybe I'll try that on a portion of a copy.

Does anyone know what the Heading 1a style is for? Is it possible I created it a year ago when I started this document? I don't recall doing that. I'll take a look at the styles section of the manual as it's about time I really learned how to use them. A PITA to learn but I can see it's the best way to go.

Here's a little more info:
Heading 1a is level 1 in this documnt (not indented even thought this section header IS in fact indented) Heading 1a is linked with Contents 2 (which is supposed to be level 2 I think)

So two questions. First, could this be part of the trouble? Second, I was considering upgrading to LO 4, and in case my styles got scrogged, is there a way to upgrade while removing any styles I may have created? I'm sure I can re-apply the Draft style watermark which is the only custom style I intentionally use.

Thanks,
Carl

On 5/10/13 2:16 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
Have you been able to manually edit it?

It does look as though something is very wrong. It looks like 2 styles have been applied to each heading. First as a sub-heading and then as a main heading. Sometimes the fastest way to fix something is an inelegant approach such as mine rather than trouble-shooting down to the exact cause.

If it was all the sub-headings that you wanted to get rid of then it's fairly easy to set the ToC to only show main headings but that would not help this case. There is some documentation on Styles in Chapter 3 of the Getting Started Guide
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#Getting_Started_with_LibreOffice

Hopefully someone else can give a better answer (or even better if i missed a better answer)
Apols and regards from