It's not as straight-forwards as that.

In 99% (probably a lot  more) of times you have the auto-backup feature on you get no problems.  I
have passed the idea on to the Docs Team though.

On 2013-04-25 08:09, M Henri Day wrote:
2013/4/23 Steve Edmonds <steve.edmonds@ptglobal.com
<mailto:steve.edmonds@ptglobal.com>>

     Hi.
     I have had this with EPS drawings (with/without preview) for a
     long time. For those to not cause a problem I turn off
     Options>Load/Save>General>Save auto recovery information.
     Just a suggestion, you could give it a try.
     Steve

     On 2013-04-23 22:21, William Drago wrote:

         Well, I may wait for 4.0.3 and see if that fixes anything. I
         did check the bugs list and I don't see my specific bug
         mentioned, but it may manifest itself in different ways, so
         maybe it will be fixed in 4.0.3.

         The bug that makes LO 4 unusable for me is drawings no longer
         save when pasted into Writer (exit LO, re-open the document,
         and the drawings are gone). A significant amount of my work
         involves making drawings in LO Draw and using them in Writer
         documents. What I have been doing as a workaround is pasting
         screenshots of the drawings into Writer.

         Thanks for all the replies...

         -Bill

Disabling the Save auto recovery info option did the trick for me in
Writer Version 4.0.2.2 (Build ID:
4c82dcdd6efcd48b1d8bba66bfe1989deee49c3) on 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04. Nice !...

Henri
Do you think it should be in the manual as it seems to have been around
since 2.4, I am sure it would help a lot of people to know.
Steve