Brilliant!!  Ctrl z is much easier than faffing around deleting spaces.  Alex i found the same as
you except if i typed a space after the close brackets and maybe some more text and then went back
to delete the space-before-the-close-brackets.

So, now we are finding tons of ways to avoid it but i think Barry's is the best yet.  I tend to
have a little finger hoovering over the "a" key that can easily reach the Ctrl key which moves my
3rd-finger quite near the Z.  So, it all works really easily if you keep your fingers roughly in
touch-typing position.  Plus it means you don't have to switch off any of the auto-correction stuff
which can be pretty handy.