In Ubuntu you can get that "task monitor" by

System - Administration - "System Monitor"

You can change which version of java you are using in LibreOffice by

Tools - Options - Java

or even switch it off completely from there.  If the thing still works but the slow-downs stop then
you know it's java slowing it down.  It would be interesting to know which version of java you are
using.