Thanks Brian, you were completely correct! It's now running perfectly once all applications within
the suite are installed.

Hope you don't mind me reposting your PM below in case anyone else runs into this.

I think it would be wise to remove the option to install elements individually if this is the case.

Cheers,

Sam

==================

This is only a guess, so take it with a pinch of salt!

You may be used to other office suites which are just that: suites of more-or-less independent
programs which just happen to be supplied by the same provider.  But LibreOffice is different: it
is a single application that can nevertheless handle various types of document.  Once you have it
open, you can open or create any of the types of document that it can handle.  Yes, it is possible
to attempt to install only some components, but since they rely on each other you will lose some
functionality if you do so - and since you do not save much disk or memory space, it may well not
be a sensible idea.

In particular, the database functionality uses the text document facility to create reports and so
on, so I don't think you can have a useful Base installation without Writer.

I cannot launch Base - I see the process run briefly and then disappear
in task manager.

The first thing I'd try is to reinstall the product (you already have the download) but this time
allowing the complete product to install.  (You can check whether this uses unacceptable extra
amounts of disk space if you wish.)

Oh, but did I say this was a guess?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker - privately