THANK YOU, ALL!!  It is solved, and productivity is mine once again.  :)

The Lion OS does hide the Library folder, but Dominik's shift-cmd-G trick was magic.  The thread
Jay posted was exactly my problem, and I found the offending filename there:
"org.libreoffice.script.savedState" which was in "Saved Application State" in the Library.  Thank
you, Ken for the screen shots and walking me through my Finder preferences--suddenly I have so much
more control over this incredible machine.  You all are right--Mac is amazing.  Never going back!
:)

Thank you thank you thank you!!

Amy

On Jan 4, 2012, at 5:39 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

Hi :)
Sometimes there is a .lck file hidden inside the back-up folder in the User-Profile as well as
the folder that the original document was being saved in.  A sledge-hammer answer would be to
rename the entire User-Profile as shown in this guide
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/UserProfile
Although you could use a little finesse to just rename the sub-folder called "Backups".

Also, expecting yourself to be instantly familiar with an Operating System that you have not used
before after spending years becoming familiar with just 1 is asking too much of yourself.  Don't
expect yourself to be instantly expert.  A lot of people find they learn a lot more about both
systems during the process of becoming more familiar with their 2nd one and that often makes it
far easier to get used to a 3rd one more easily.  At a guess it has taken years to work out all
the things you know in Windows.  It might take a few months to get to that level in Mac but
hopefully it will take just a couple of weeks to break some old (usually bad but necessary)
Windows-habits and to get familiar enough to use Mac happily.  It's a journey that is well worth
taking and you will soon find yourself regretting  that you didn't make the move earlier.

I'm not certain but windows with a capital W tends to make people think of Microsoft Windows
whereas with a small w is the type of thing you are talking about.  People often get very
confused if you use the capital W.  Some people try to use the word "console" instead of "window"
just to avoid that whole confusion but it's not widely known so it too causes confusion.  You
might have heard the term "terminal console" instead of "command window" but that's about as far
as it goes in 'normal' usage.  [Sigh] i guess it's a bit like saying google-it rather than
search-engine-it or hoovering rather than vacuum-cleaning.