Just to give you a "bloat alert". My Ubuntu 12.04 LTS system, after all of its updates and upgrades from the repository, and the fact that it seems a lot of the older packages were left on the system, my OS folders now total about 98-GB.

1,000 GB total
less 78.7 GB free space
less 823.5 GB in the /home folder and sub-folders
making all of the other folders in the "filesystem" totaling 97.8 GB for the OS.

This OS figure also includes the 11 GB swap and a 11 GB extended partition [for what Ubuntu uses it for I do not know, but it created it].

So take away the 22 GB of partitions outside of that main partition, you get
75.8 GB of OS file space for 12.04LTS plus the two partitions it needs to run.

If I used a 10-15 GB for the OS, I would be sunk.

I do not separate the /home into its own partition, since all of the docs and "help" seems to confuse me on how to set up all of the different partitions during the install process. In a few months, I hope to replace that 1 TB drive with a 2 TB one. I planned on creating a 500 GB partition for the OS file system including the OS, /home, and the needed swap and other partition[s] needed. The rest of the drive, 1.5 TB, will be used as a separate data "drive" so I can have a smaller /home folder size and keep everything not actively worked on out of the /home folder.

Also, I have taken a 2 TB internal drive and used it for the first stage backup, or internal backup, of the essential /home folder files, like the "hidden dot folders" and things like my photo folder that contains sub-folders by year and then month of all my digital photo since Sept. 2005 - when I bought my first digital camera. I have a whole box of photos needing to be scanned in from the early 70's to then, that I will "one day" get around to scanning an archiving.

Unfortunately, I have more internal drive space than external drive backup space. So I need to start buying more of those drives to back up my system. It does help that most of my 2nd 2-TB drive is used as an internal backup, so it currently does not need external a separate external backup. But I do have one 1-TB and two 2-TB drives, currently, and later at least 6-TB [maybe 7, 8, or more] internal storage to be backed up externally.

On 08/07/2013 04:18 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
I tend to make / around 10-15Gb now for Ubuntu.  100Mb is about enough for a separate /boot
partiiton but not enough for the / of most distros, especially not for the most bloated distro of
all.  I've found that even 8Gb gets in trouble quite quickly unless you are quite good at doing
maintenance such as using the Janitor fairly often.

You don't get much of a performance boost by having a separate /home unless that /home is on a
physically separate drive but it does make he system more robust and safer to upgrade.