I think it does remember but it would be worth doing the custom install and checking that it does.

Also when you uninstall any version the configurations and settings are all still kept in your User
Profile so when you install again it picks up all your previous settings.  The uninsall-reinstall
route does not "go back to factory defaults".

It is pretty smart to make a back-up copy of your User Profile fairly often so that it's easy for
you to get back to settings that you do like if/when something odd happens (such as installing a
new  Extension messes things up forcing you to rename your User Profile or you just find that weird
things have started happening without really knowing why).
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/UserProfile

Note that other OpenSource programs such as Firefox, Gimp (and even some proprietary programs
nowadays) use the User Profile idea in order to allow people to upgrade (or go back to older
versions) much more easily.