Well, having a simple script available for each of the 4 Linux downloads
would be nice.

The sh install-lo-4.0.5.sh type of script could have all the needed
steps from the un-archiving, to the removal of the previous version, to
the install of the package itself.

Let the script do all the heavy typing and make it easier for the user
to install LO.

That would not be too hard. correct?

It would not be a "single click" but it would reduce the needed typing
and other work by the users to get LO installed on their [say] 64-bit
Debian based system.

I keep forgetting the command to "safely" remove the previous version of
LO when I want to go from 4.0.5 to 4.1.2, for example.  Last time I
know, you needed to remove the previous version of LO even for
installing 4.0.5 when the previous version was 4.0.3 or .4.

On 10/08/2013 04:48 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:
On Tue, 2013-10-08 at 13:22 -0700, Girvin Herr wrote:
I am coming late to this thread, but this talk of a "single-button"
install scares me.  I take the downloaded Linux binary LO package and
re-package it into a Slackware Linux installation package.  I use a
script I created to do this and all I have to do when a new LO release
comes out is to change the version and run the script.  Out comes a
Slackware package, ready for installation.  I surely hope that any
effort going to a single-point installer for LO, which would probably
break my process, will not be the only way to install LO in the future,
and the current installation scheme will still be an option.
Girvin Herr

What I have seen with Linux "one-click" installers is they actually
invoke the distro software installer. This requires user confirmation
before the install occurs (password entry). So it is as secure as any
other package installation. The "one-click" installers are normally
distro (distro family) specific.

Currently I have two versions of LO installed, one from the repository
and a downloaded version.

On 10/08/2013 08:08 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
+1
it's a historical problem.  LibreOffice is moving towards a more normal installer.  Sun wasn't
keen on such gimmicks when developed by the community.  Go-oo didn't need a decent installer
because it didn't develop so fast = so it could settle on whichever version was supplied in the
OS.

LibreOffice does develop quickly and people do want to keep up so it kinda does need a normal
installer and is developing one.