I generally double-click on a picture to open it and then double-click on that to "full-screen it".
 If it's larger than the screen the picture gets reduced in size to fit.  If i have a lot of pics
to look through then instead of "Full-screening it" i go to the menus and choose

View - Slideshow

and use the keyboard arrows to flick through or just let it run