On 2013-02-15 21:01, Felmon Davis wrote:
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013, Tom Davies wrote:

Hi :)

Perhaps Moodle? I haven't looked into Moodle but keep meaning to. It's supposedly good for higher education but it might be more about just tutors and lecturers being able to place documents and text and stuff in an attractive layout that's easy for students to just read. I'm not sure how interactive it can be.

we have 'moodle' (for some reason our ITS calls it 'nexus') and I used to use it when it first came out. I have looked to see if this is built in and it probably is, or they could activate it, but I haven't found it yet; I should just ask and I might settle for it but I don't like using moodle otherwise so that would be my only use for it -- it is a rather large canon for the little fly I want to swat.

I am more partial to drupal but haven't yet found a utility for file uploading that was simple enough to configure in small snatches of time I have for it. it often seems to require installing this and that module, updating the whole she-bang and so on.

I just don't have time for reconstructive surgery on my drupal site, not now at least and now would be a great time to have the upload utility.

oh, well. pardon the off-off-topic; we should get back to the main off-topic or even on topic!

F.
I looked at Moodle a long time ago for a school application.
I see on their site
"In Moodle, each user has a private files area for uploading and managing a set of files."
"Preventing access to Private files

 * To prevent all users having access to Private files, the
   administrator should disable (close the eye) of the repository in
   /Settings>Site administration>Plugins>Repositories>Manage
   repositories./
 * If only students are to be prevented from accessing private files
   (but teachers etc, allowed) then a new
 * role should be made and assigned system wide. See FAQ 6 in
   Repositories FAQ <http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Repositories_FAQ> for
   more information."

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Private_files
Steve

________________________________
From: Felmon Davis <davisf@union.edu>
To: users@global.libreoffice.org Sent: Friday, 15 February 2013, 6:55
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Share-point?

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:

On 13-02-14 02:05 PM, Felmon Davis wrote:
this thread is off-topic but I'll take advantage of it before it's
cut: I would like a solution where

a) individuals could upload documents to me
b) they wouldn't be able to see each other's documents (unless I
allowed it)
c) should be either linux-based or agnostic.

OwnCloud. Wait for version 5 though ("End of February"):
http://owncloud.org/

Cheers,

Fabian

thanks. this deserves more study but so far as I can see now, it doesn't suit my purpose. it allows me to access files from diverse places and devices. I can already do that on a server to which I have ssh and sshfs access.

what I need is something where _others_ can upload their files for _me_ to access. think of students uploading papers for the teacher to grab. the students shouldn't see each other's work though they should see their own.

(it would be great if they had permissions to modify and delete their own stuff but not essential; it is essential that Windows and Mac people can upload their files.)

I'll study the owncloud page more but I'm not seeing these features so far.

F.

-- Felmon Davis

"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is
the exact opposite."
        -- Bertrand Russell, _Sceptical_Essays_, 1928