I can place LO on machines that can barely use MSO 95/97. As long as it can run Win XP or Ubuntu 10.04, it can run LO.

For me, I always keep a auto save every 5 or 10 minutes. For some users, the "make a backup copy " of the original file before you edit it is the only way to go, with the auto saving option enable of course. The only time I had a problem with the "restore" on reboot of LO was when I removed the offending file from my system.

The real issue is that if you have a "large" document, then you have to decide if it is worth any "slowness" with the auto backup and auto saving enabled. For simple things, maybe not, but for business documents and documents that take more than a few minutes to type you should enable them.

On 03/08/2012 09:33 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
I think the default setting avoids taking back-ups as it can be time-consuming and irritating to people on slower machines. One advantage of LibreOffice/OpenOffice is that it tends to work well on machines that are so slow that MS Office would keep falling over.
To switch it on the back-ups option try

Tools - Options - +Load/Save - "Always create a back-up copy"