Ouch!  Could you download the Japanese version again (preferably using the bit-torrent method) or
use the md5sum check to see if the download went wrong 1st time?

If there is something very wrong with the Japanese translations would it be possible to pick
another language for the short-term and then have another look at the Japanese in a month or so?

I think it's fairly easy to write documents in a different language from the UI (drop-down menu's
and such).