I have on the Ubuntu 10.04LTS system, I will loan out to a Church's day care center, everything that is on the application list for Edubuntu, plus more. But all their other machines are Windows.

I was looking at what software I have on the Ubuntu/Edubuntu system that has Windows version out there for free. That is where I say LibreOffice.org listed in the Math software list. When I saw LibreOffice.org listed in the math package list, I was thinking about the Math module.

Marc listed GCompris is free on Linux, which is part of the Edubuntu education application list, but why would they require a fee for Windows. There is a software called Childsplay that is something like GCompris, since I looked at both on the Ubuntu system. Then there is Tuxmath, which is a bunch of math related games. Most of the Edubuntu applications are listed as KDE4 packages, according to the wiki page for Edubuntu. Kturtle is the Logo programming package.

What the day care center needs is a lot of good packages that help with math and reading scores, the way the director was talking. So I was looking at finding as many free math packages to include in a CD set for her to add to their Windows computers she already has. I was going to have LO 3.4.6 with all the extensions I use so she can install it on those computers.

I decided to loan out my IBM server from 2002 with a 17" CRT monitor [2nd space system that is taking up needed space] to that day care center for a year or so, till they can afford to get a Windows replacement, or I find a good Windows machine to replace it. The good part of Ubuntu is any major modifications/installs/etc. requires a SUDO password and the kids will not have that. Windows do not offer that "security" feature.

I really think getting LibreOffice.org into computer centers, whether it is in a day care center or some other community computer center, is something that can have a positive effect for LO. If the kids, in this care 13 years and under for the summer, get use to using LO on the systems they have access to during the summer, they might want to get their parents to install it on their home computer/laptop.

As for helping out a day care center with a long term loan of a computer filled with educational software, if I have a spare computer to loan, I would do so. If I get a better one donated to me by locals, well my policy is "if I get it free, I give it out to others for free". I am always looking out for free systems that can be fixed up and loaded, or given, to people who need them.

As for the IBM server having Ubuntu/Edubuntu on it instead of XP, well for some reason that server with XP installed wants me to install external drivers for it to use thumbdrives, external hard drives, or external optical drives, when my XP laptop installs the drivers from internal sources. Why, that system cannot find internal drivers for these USB devices when my XP laptop does, I have no idea. So it got Ubuntu/Edubuntu installed on it. It has everything they need, except for some reason when installing all the educational packages it caused problems for it to play video files with any video player I had installed. Well, they will not be playing DVDs on it since it has a SCSI connection CD reader. There is no PATA/IDE ports for a DVD drive or hard drive.

Well, keep on giving me any info you have for free educational packages that have free Windows versions. They could sure use as much free software as can be found.

I just liked that they had LibreOffice.org listed as a good educational package for math.

On 05/23/2012 01:39 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
I think Edubuntu might be worth trying out?
http://www.edubuntu.org/

(sorry e-letter!)

Perhaps test-drive a LiveCd? Even tho it 'should' be about 100 times slower than a proper dual-boot install onto a normal ide hard-drive, even bigger difference with sata and vast difference with SSDs of course but assuming you are using Windows on a normal ide hard-drive then a LiveCd 'should' seem about 100 times slower. In fact it generally feels tons faster purely because of Gnu&Linux power :) Regards from
Tom :)